Orange or Montpellier?

Mar 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Orange or Montpellier?

Which would be the more interesting town to spend a couple of days, at the start of a cycling tour of the region?
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM

I'd chose Montpellier. It's larger, vibrant, and attractive.

Anselm
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Ditto - for same reasons

Stu Dudley
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:38 PM

THat is true but for me I'd pick Orange. The Theatre Antique D'Orange Is one of the best Preserved and still in use for concerts and operas. Besides other notable ruins is my favorite Henri Fabre Museum, an entomologist and friend of Mistral. This would be great for biking through Provence. Montpellier is in Languedoc-a great not as crowded part of the South of France. The Gorge of Tarn is worth a visit if you go that far.As is the coastline.
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM

>>Orange. The Theatre Antique D'Orange Is one of the best Preserved and still in use for concerts and operas. <<

Both times we visited the theatre, it was so filled up with concert/opera props that we really couldn't appreciate it's spendor. One time, it had netting on part of it - they may have been setting it up for the next event.

Stu Dudley
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:13 PM

I guess, I've been lucky and not encountered that.It's like restaurants, one can experience a bad day, another a good day. That's why I never say one is better than the other. We each bring our own experience or lover our chosen area that another may not like as much. But for Anyone new to Provence, they will find the beauty no matter where they start.
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM

I too have had problems getting into the Théatre Antique at Orange - there was always some rock concert or Taureau Piscine event going on there - frustrating. I really like Orange, though. But I'd have to say pick Montpellier for generally more choices of things to do and see.
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:38 AM

Hi

the choice should probably be : Montpellier, Nimes, Arles or Orange ?

I've noted them in (my view of) the order of interest.

I've got photos of the area here :
http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/ph...hoto-index.htm

Peter

Mar 7th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

'the choice should probably be : Montpellier, Nimes, Arles or Orange ?'

As it happens, Peter, we've got all of those nicely covered. Orange or Montpellier for two nights, followed by Nimes for two, Arles for two, Avignon for 3.This may seem to be a bit unambitious to some, but remember we're en velo and consequently our mobility is a bit restricted.

Search this Thread