Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Open to Suggestions for my trip to Europe in January!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My flight from New York City to Oslo will land on December 25th. I am planning to stay in Europe until January 30th and my return flight back to NYC is from Barcelona. Certain things I want to do is see the Northern Lights (I heard it can be hard to catch, so any advice on how I can increase my chances of seeing it would be greatly appreciated!) in either Norway or Sweden, travel Denmark, Germany, France, and last but not least Portugal if I have extra time before I need to head to Spain for my return flight back to NYC.

I do not have any solid plans and I am keeping an open mind - all I have is the round trip flights. Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM

Dress warmly !!
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 11:14 PM

Increase your chances of seeing the Northern Lights by paying attention to solar weather and hope & pray for a clear night.

You're proposing 5-7 countries in 36 days. That's better than the plan most folks come in here with.

Pack for frigid cold weather, cold and wet weather, cold and gray, and sunny temps in the 60-70°F range.

Are you depending on trains and buses to get around? what about between countries?
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 11:31 PM

You will need to head north to increase you northern lights chances. Oslo is too far south to see the normally. Tromsø is a popular place to go, far enough north but not as cold as inland viewing spots. You would have to fly there though, no trains that far north. You could get a train to Bodø and a ferry to the Lofoten islands.

Both will be expensive, both in travel and hotel/food costs. See if you can still get a good price on a train ticket from Norwegian railways, and look at Norwegian air and Widerøe for flights. VisitNorway.com is a good resource for you.
Be prepared for sticker shock in Norway.

www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast, for aurora forecasts. Click on the Europe map.

Use the ferries to get to Denmark, and to Germany and train from there.

You have left it a bit late for cheap train tickets though, so I hope you have lots of money available for this venture. The same with cheap airlines - the earlier you book the cheaper they are. This late in the day you may even be better off with the legacy airlines since they don't have as many extra charges.

Norway will be cold, but if you are from NYC you will be used to the conditions there.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 02:18 AM

If you feel that you will need sun at some point, Nice is fairly reliable.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 04:33 AM

Bring a flexible wardrobe - north will be bitter cold (for norther lights likely colder than NYC) and Spain/Portugal mostly a lot warmer (50s?).

And bring LOTs of money - you are headed to some ultra expensive countries (Norway and Sweden prices can be twice NYC with denmark not far behind - for everything from hotels to meals).
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 04:59 AM

If you travel on the Hurtigruten, the coastal steamer which plies the coast of Norway from Bergen to Kirkenes and back, you will greatly increase your chance of seeing the Northern Lights. You can book a cabin and enjoy three meals a day if you choose. Winter prices are relatively reasonable. The farther north you go, the shorter and darker the days.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 05:09 AM

Bring warm clothes and be flexible, harsh weather may cause problems with trains, flights etc. so don't be in a hurry. Some info about seeing the lights: http://www.swedenroadtrip.com/northern-lights/
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Very warm December this year here in Oslo. Yesterday some 48F and no snow around. Long term forecast says some 40F when you arrive as well.

Christmas opening hours:
http://www.visitoslo.com/en/whats-on...opening-hours/

Restaurant opening hours in late December: http://www.visitoslo.com/VisitOslo/T...ear%202013.pdf