Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Only 3 days in greece...where to go besides Athens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:55 AM
gand

dear travellers:<BR><BR>I will be spending three full days in Greece in March 2003 (flying in Sunday, leaving Thurs). We have to fly out of Athens, but we were interested in sightseeing some other city/island (perhaps for one day). We can fly in anywhere since we are flexible with this option.<BR><BR>Do you have any suggestions about (1) visiting important sites in Athens (2) visiting important sites outside of Athens, and if so, what would be the best way to travel around greece...<BR><BR>Also, would anyone like to comment on ferry experiences traveling between the islands. How often do they run, how fast are they, cost etc.<BR><BR>PS: I have read Mike Barretts website. <BR>Thank you for any feedback...

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 09:20 AM
jef-europe

My suggestion is to spend<BR><BR>-one full day in Athens:visit of the Acropolis,Plaka for lunch and in the afternoon one museum<BR>(National or the Benaki or the Cycladic art)/shopping and peoplewatching in Kolonaki.<BR>Dinner at a fish taverna on the coast:vouliagmeni or microlimano<BR><BR>- day 2, for a day cruise to Hydra one of the best islands one can visit in Greece.<BR><BR>-day 3 ,visit of Delphi and lunch on the mountain resort of Arachova.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:01 PM
xxx

Have you booked a hotel yet in Athens for the Sunday? I was thinking that you could go take the bus to Nafplion on the Sunday and spend the Sunday there and Monday afternoon, then take the bus back to Athens on Monday and enjoy Athens for Monday evening, the full day Tuesday going to the Acropolis, having lunch in Plaka , enjoying the siesta in Syntagma Square, taking the funicular up Mount Lycavettus for the sunset view, and dinner in Psirri. Then Tuesday going to Delphi on a day trip and spending the evening again in Athens. Wednesday maybe go to Hydra or take a day trip to Sounion for view of the Temple of Poseidon and the Aegean.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 09:05 PM
gand

No hotels have been booked. We can start from almost any city in Greece, but we have to leave from Athens International airport on thursday since this has been booked.<BR><BR>Thanks again for feedback.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:10 PM
xxx

Then I'd recommend the above itinerary since Nafplion is only 3hours away by bus. Maybe, take a taxi to the KTEL bus terminal A on Kifissou street where a bus leaves every hour to Nafplio. Nafplio is extremely beautiful and from there you can also visit Epidavros(1h) and ancient Mycenae(45min), and if you had time on the way back to Athens Corinth. However given the lack of time, you won't want to leave Nafplio's venitian architecture, fortresses and cobbled streets of the Old Town (which is where you should get a hotel).

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:49 PM
byron

I agree. We were in Greece in mid September and just loved our trip to Nafplion. Pallimidi Castle at Nafplion is worth a tour. Beautiful scenery up there. We enjoyed Epidavros and Mycenea. The mountain drive is beautiful. Delphi is good but I would choose the trip to Meteora and see the Monasteries (that would be a day). Enjoy.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 05:06 PM
Mia

I've been to Greece multiple times. The person who was named jef-europe in the post above came up with the best itinerary. Sorry, folks, been to Naflion three times, so I know the pros and cons well, but it is no where near as spectacular as Delphi, which is one of the centers of religion in our collective history of humanity. Meteora is great, but not too easy to get to and back from in a day trip. You could at least do Delphi in a day trip. Then the idea of going to one of the closer islands will give the opportunity for the quintessential experience of a ferry ride to a greek island. Cape Sounion is a spectacular place to visit also if you don't want the ferry ride route. There is also a beach or two in that area if you would rather have the beach experience.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 02:11 AM
Ruth

The nearest island is Aegina, which is an easy 1 hour ferry trip from Pireus. Aegina town is pretty, and a taxi to the temple of Aphaia gives great views. We really enjoyed our day trip there (Hydra is probably more spectacular but is a longer trip).

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Ruth

I'll send my post on day trips from Athens last June to the top for you.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:17 PM
gand

Do you know any one-day out of Athens tours that you would recommend? thanks.