One week in Geneva area

Search

One week in Geneva area

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week in Geneva area

Hi. I'm planning a trip to Geneva next August as 2nd leg of trip that begins in Iceland. I've never been to Geneva region. The origins of the trip was the desire to play golf at Evian Golf Resort on Lake Geneva. I'm currently considering staying a full week in Geneva as home base for day trips to Annecy, Montreux and Lyon and other areas north of Geneva like Laussane time permitting. However, not sure if staying in Geneva is best approach since I haven't heard many nice things about Geneva yet. Also planning to stay overnight in Zermatt before coming back to Geneva then home. Are there any recent travelers to these towns that may offer advice on the merits of making Geneva our home base?
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 08:40 PM
kja

I enjoyed Geneva, and I think there's a lot to see and do in the area -- whether from Geneva, Lausanne, or Montreux. You might find some helpful information in my trip report -- just click on my screen name and then scroll down to the section on trip reports. After I began that trip report, some friends asked me about my time in the area around Geneva, and I provided fairly extensive details. That section begins with a post on Feb 4, 2014, and you can find it by searching the trip report for the words, "A couple I know will be visiting Lausanne..."
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 09:14 PM

Hi eightmontclaire,

I visit Montreux often and usually stay for one or two weeks; I was just there for 14 nights this past Oct.

I personally dislike big cities, so for me, I wouldn't stay in Geneva or Lausanne (though I did have one overnight in Geneva one time, just to test myself -- I don't have to do that again!).

Do you like to hike or walk? There are some gorgeous hikes above Montreux in the hills above the lake, from 2h to 5h. Do you like to spend time in museums or shopping? Then probably Geneva or Lausanne would make a good base.

I'll just add that you should definitely see Chillon castle, outside of Montreux. And I think the most beautiful thing to see in/from Montreux is its flowered lakeside promenade, so it's a good idea to walk along the lake to Chillon (45 minutes). Then you can take the town bus back. Or you can continue your walk to the next town, Villeneuve (another 45 minutes) and take the bus back.

I'll also suggest that you get inland a bit from the lake. An excursion to Gruyeres (for the cheese factory and the medieval village) as well as to Gstaad takes less than 2h.

If you let us know what kinds of things you enjoy, we can help you find it.

s
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KJA. I will take a look at your report.
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Swandav. I mistakenly noted I plan to visit Montreaux but meant Chamonix. Have you been there or Annecy or Lyon?
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 10:11 AM

<i> One week in Geneva area
Posted by: eightmontclaire on Nov 27, 16 at 9:33pm</i>

You don't say anything about what you like to do.

I had a two month stay in Geneva about 20 years ago. I liked Geneva for a swim in Lac Leman, the sweetest water I ever dunked in. The cafes in Carouge provided great night entertainment, especially the Cafe Les Amis De Carouge, one of the best bars in Europe. There was another cafe at a square on a hill on the south side of the Rhone. I can't remember the name. It was a wild place on weekend nights but a very pleasant outdoor place for Sunday brunch.

On another front, the selection and prices of Swiss Army knives and Swiss watches is unbeatable.
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 10:27 AM

You are traveling enough in Switzerland if going to Zermatt especially to look at a Swiss Pass or Half-Fare Card, etc-lots of info on Swiss trains: www.ricksteves.com; www.swisstravelsystem.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Geneva is a utilitarian base if day tripping into France but yes Montreux or neighboring Vevey are much more romantic and well posed for day trips around Switzerland and even to Chamonix -by thrillingly scenic trains via Martigny to Chamonix and back - all covered by a Swiss Pass.
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 10:52 AM

Montreux/Vevey are also much closer to Lausanne and Evian-les-Bains - boats go from each to each- trains also to Lausanne.
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 12:28 PM

As Swandav said, the areas above Montreux are fabulous. Look at these two - maybe even for an overnight, waking up with views across the lake to Mont Blanc etc.: Glion, and/or Caux. And make sure you take the mountain-goat of a train from Montreux all the way up to Les Rochers de Naye (google the name), a wildflower paradise with unbeatable views.

Wherever you end up staying for the majority of your trip, take the public boats that crisscross the lake Geneva (in French called Lac Léman).

Geneva is OK as cities go - lots of diplomats and other expense-account persons drive up the prices, and it isn't known for excitement (a remnant of the Calvin period?). There is a bit of an old historic center left, otherwise the pretty spots are few and far between.
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 08:41 PM

No, sorry, I haven't been to Annecy or to Lyon.

Have fun as you plan!

s