COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

One Week in France

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Laura

One Week in France

I'd like to take advantage of the great rates and see a little of France in late March/early April. Is it reasonable to attempt 3 days in Paris then rent a car and drive to Provence and spend 4 days poking around there? Could I get by in Provence with meager French and mediocre Italian?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Capo

Hi Laura. My French puts the "meag" in meager, and I've always gotten by fine in Provence so I don't think you should have any worries about that.

3 days in Paris and 4 in Provence sounds quite reasonable (though, of course, you'll probably wish you had even more time in both places), but I think you might want to reconsider driving from Paris to Provence (unless you really love driving.) Why not let the TGV (the fast train) take you to, say, Avignon, and then rent a car there for your exploring?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Ron

Yes you could get in Provance but no you do not have enough time for both.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:50 PM
david lascoux

Rather than Provence which is far from Paris I would suggest you Perigord/dordogne (4 to 5 hours from Paris with the highway).
This is one of the most famous touristic area in France with its thousands of medieval castles and villages, its prehistoric sites and its legendary gastronomy (foie gras, red wine, confit, truffles...)
More informations on this web site :
www.villaconsuls.com
Click on the american flag for english text then click on "tourism"

Bye

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Thierry

Laura, first ignore David's pathetic attempt to once again pollute this site with his blatant advertising (what is the webmaster doing ? )and to lure you into Dordogne, unless you want to spend hours behind your wheel. No, Capo is right: take the new TGV Mediterranee and in less than 3 hours you'll be in Avignon where you can explore the region with a rental car. That said, do you really think that you will get enough of Paris in three days ? Obviously you've never been there, so the city might deserve a tad more time...

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Fred

Can you do it? Absolutely. Should you do it? I don't think so. There's just too much in Paris to see. In 3 days you won't even begin to experience the city. Why don't you stay in Paris, do a couple of day trips, and save Provence for another time? For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:03 AM

If you have never been to Paris, you ought to consider spending your week there. We have been 10 times and 3 days is not enough after all of those visits. Provence can be very cold and windy in March and you won't really have enough time to do either justice with 3 days. But, if you do go to Provence, listen to the advice from the others and take the TGV to Avignon. Driving will waste at least a day of your precious time.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM

you can do it if you take the autoroute but it is very expensive. We only use it when stressed for time for a deadline The scenery won't be as good as D roads (nor will it be on the TGV.) If you don't expect to see all of provence you can do one area in a few days driving through Burgundy.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:56 AM

This thread is two years old!!!!!!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:02 PM

Hopefully the people have gone and returned by now!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:04 PM

sucked into that one. Toppers can be deadly.