Paris or So. of France

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris or So. of France

Hello,
My husband and I have a trip to Paris planned for 10 days, end of April and into May. I have my itinerary set and everything basically done. But my big quandry is this--Should we go to the So of France instead?
Maybe this sounds stupid, I just need to know what you all might think. (My husband thinks that since I have never seen Paris, we need to do that first) (He's already been there, but only on business).
thanks for all your help.
It would be great if I could add 4 more days to my trip, but I doubt thats possible.
thanks again
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Do you want a city or seaside break?

It's like asking someone whether they want a perfectly mixed cocktail or a glass of chateau petrûs. Both are superb yet different experiences - what do you feel like?

How can you expect anyone to be able to crawl inside your brain, and make your decision for you - there is so much to say about both areas, let's use our rationale here.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:08 PM

I guess I just can't imagine going to the South of France (lovely and wonderful though it is) without first visiting Paris. We love Provence and have been several times but we return to Paris as often as possible. With 10 days, you could get a taste of each - 5 days in Paris, 5 days at a single place in the South with day trips. The TGV to Avignon is about 3-4 hours as I recall.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:34 PM

My thoughts are the same as mamc. If you want ONE place, and haven't yet been to Paris, I would say go there first. But with 10 days, you could certainly see both places.
Paule
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Please, may I have the glass of Pétrus?!

I would be inclined to go to Provence. Paris is wonderful, but so is Provence, and life is less hectic there. With your ten days you could spend half in Provence and finish up in Paris, which is our regular plan. Ten days in Paris is a fairly long stretch, although it would allow you the option of taking three or four day trips out of the city--but I think you'd get more enjoyment out of the trip by seeing a totally different part of France.

As for timing, you can get from Paris to Avignon in under 3 hours. If you take a morning train that gives you the rest of the day and the evening somewhere in Provence.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:38 PM

My dear, I'm just decanting a magnum of '45 as we speak.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Our favorite way to vacation in Europe (or anywhere, really) is to spend about 5 days in the city and then 5 days in the country.
After several days of city noise, traffic, and crowds-- even in a place as delightful as Paris-- we find it refreshing to get out to the countryside. We rent a car and drive around to enjoy the rural scenery and smaller towns. It's a nice way to get a feel for the natural beauty and geographical features of the country we're visiting, and to get a more balanced view of the culture.
Of course, nobody except you can know what you would enjoy most, but that is something that works for us! In fact, we are planning to do exactly that in July-- 5 days in Paris, take the TGV to Avignon, rent a car, and stay 4 days at an Inn near St. Remy. I'm so excited to be there when the lavender and sunflowers will be blooming!
Anyway, you can't lose either way.
Have a great time!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:57 PM

m kingdon--is that along the lines of Have some Madeira m'dear?
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Ok I am planning on spending 6 days in Paris And then taking the train to So. of France, do we go to Nice or Provence,St Remy? (4 days).
I have no idea how to plan that part of our trip.
Any advice is appreciated
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 01:35 PM

In my opinion Madeira is an average island, and whilst this is all personal taste - the wine has the qualities of a foul cough mixture, I'd imagine you could use it as an organic weed killer.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:31 PM

If you want to get out into the French countryside of Provence, you might base yourselves at St. Remy. It's a very nice town and you can make day trips to a great many places. Of course, you would have to decide which places! More decisions . . .

Have a grand time.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:11 PM
cmt

I think getting a little taste of both would be ideal.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:29 PM

I would also suggest that you split your time between Paris and Provence. It's an easy TGV ride and would give you two entirely different perspectives on France. Can't imagine a better combination of experiences anywhere in the world.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 04:36 AM

A suggestion: Choose a place to stay. St Remy is nice, we like Les Baux, too. Choose a number of places to visit while in Provence - this board has lots about Provence and many hotel suggestions. Take the TGV to Avignon, rent a car right at the train station and drive to your hotel. Spend 4 days touring lovely Provence.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 04:52 AM
ira

Hi jobie,

I believe that everyone should visit Paris as soon as possible, so that they won't be disappointed when they die.