One night in London -a few questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family of four (two teenage daughters) flying into Heathrow from Venice on Saturday afternoon; departing Heathrow Sunday at 4:45 pm. Plan is to stay in London and spend a few hours in the morning walking (Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park). A couple questions:

1. If cost isn't an issue, what is the quickest way to get 4 people plus luggage to a centrally located hotel on a Saturday afternoon?

2. Any hotel recommendations for our purpose - I have Sheraton points and was considering Park Lane or Park Tower?

3. Given our flight is Sunday @ 445 pm, and assuming that taxi is quickest way, what time do we have to be in Cab in Central London (say from Park Lane) to be at Heathrow with a very comfortable time to check in, etc - avoiding stress is key!

Thanks
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:58 PM

A taxi or a hired car would work - that would be the best, IMHO with four. I have heard recommendations for several hired car services here on the forums - I'm sure a quick search can find them. Have fun!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I think the quickest way would be to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and than take a cab from Paddington to your hotel.The Heathrow Express only take 15/20 min to get to Paddington. The taxis are waiting right outside the door.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No - you do <u>not</u> want the Heathrow Express. the train itself only takes 15 mins - but you have to walk quite a long ways from arrivals to the train at LHR. And it would be very expensive for 4, and not fast when you factor in the walks and waiting for a cab at the Paddington end.

You also don't want to take a cab in from LHR unless you are made of money (though its still cheaper than the HEX for 4)

Book a car service such as justairports.com Door to door service for less than a cab, and if you pay cash it is even cheaper.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:28 PM

With four of you, getting a car service (but not a black cab) would be the best option.

Assuming you want to get to LHR 90 minutes before the flight, you'll need to be there by 3:15-30pm. I would give 1hr including loading/ unloading time, so I would get a car service for 2:15-2:30pm.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Do you have a particular reason for visiting Hyde Park ? It's quite boring.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Yes, justairports.com. They have three categories of cars. The second category should be fine for you. It should only be 22-28 pounds each way for all four of you. For return I would have car pick you up at 2pm.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

With respect to hyde park, I thought that would be a good location to walk to Buckingham Palace and the area. I figure we have about 4 solid hours of sightseeing time on a Sunday morning. Any recommendations for a better location?
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Hyde Park is wonderful for a stroll - but not really a &quot;site&quot; for such a short tour.

I'd walk across Green Park, see Buckingham Palace, walk across St James Park, then a very short walk down Great George St to Parliament Sq w/ Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament/Big Ben, the river and the Eye all w/i 5 mins of each other. Then w/ more time you cann walk to Trafalgar Sq and see the National Gallery and St Martin's in the Field etc.

Much more to see w/i a shorter walk than hiking through Hyde Park.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - any hotel recommendations to be in the most convenient location to see the most of these sights in the shortest time?
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Either of the Sheraton's you mentioned would be just fine. The Park Tower is a bit better located since it is a short walk to Green Park/Buckingham Palace.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Is this your first trip to London? While I'm all for walking, I think you're missing a lot by not doing a hop on hop off bus or similar. You will see many more of the &quot;sites&quot; of London you'd expect to see and get a great feel for it. In fact most of those busses, if you buy a ticket on Saturday afternoon, it will still be good for Sunday, so you can actually use it to get from one site to another and then walk from there. I think it would be shame not to get to Tower of London and Tower Bridge -- which are one heck of a long walk away, but part of any of the bus tours.

And definitely a car service like Just Airports is your BEST answer for both trips between the airport and the city.