Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Express for 2 people vs. Cab at 10 P.M.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if it's actually cheaper for two people to take a cab into London from Heathrow Airport given that at 10 P.M. onwards there probably won't be bad traffic into London. Wouldn't a cab be cheaper for two people than two tickets on the HEX? Thanks!!
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 09:25 AM

On the Heathrow Express official site they usually have 2 for 1 or some nice discount for a 2nd person so check that out too - cab won't be cheaper perhaps but will take you right to your hotel - HEX only takes you to Paddington Station, well away from where most folks stay so that means another cab fare.

So maybe not the cheapest but by far the best since a cab will be able to breeze thru the streets of London that in daytime are often clogged.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 09:39 AM

If choosing between cab and Heathrow express it depends on your final destination but key is taking a pre-booked car service vs Black cab. Heathrow Express will be about GBP 43 for two people but of course you still have to get from Paddington to your destination via tube or cab.

A pre-booked car service might be your best option because it could be around GBP 40 +/- depending on your destination. Grabbing a black cab will be at least GBP 65+ so I think that is the most expensive option and I don't recommend.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 10:32 AM

A cab will almost always be the most expensive mode of travel. The last time I took a cab ( from Kings Cross to LHR ) the fare was 80 GBP. I'm sure you can arrange a car service for much less. In fact, I have had several bad experiences with London taxis in the past several years. Personally, I'd rather take the tube than a taxi and, for me, that's saying a lot.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 10:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Another option is the Heathrow Connect, same as Heathrow Express, also to Paddington Station, takes a bit longer, about half an hour rather than the theoretical 15 minutes on HEx (both depend on which terminal). I say "theoretical" because in my experience, the HEx can inexplicably just stop and sit and becomes a longer trip for twice the money. Connect, about £10. Express, £21.50. HEx is less bought in advance online.

I agree with historytraveler, if not encumbered with more luggage than can easily be negotiated, the tube is best, especially if cost is a factor.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 11:07 AM

Cab to London would be roughly 80 pounds. HEX is roughly 25 each (roughly) plus a cab once you get to Paddington, unless you continue on with the tube. How much luggage will you have?
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Those are not your only choices. I would <u>never</u> take the HEX (or Connect) unless I was staying in Paddington/Bayswater/Lancaster Gate. And I'd NEVER take a cab in from LHR.

A pre-booked car service ( like justairports.com ) will cost MUCH less than a cab and take exactly the same time.

Or the Tube is totally doable unless one has a boatload of luggage and/or is staying in an area inconvenient to the Piccadilly Line.