One more emergency question for Switzerland residents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already posted one question related to my broken leg. I have another one. We can not get a flight back to USA until next Sunday. I need an anke repair surgery. It looks like it is better to do it here. I can do it in INterlaken or go to Luzern. Where would you suggest to do the surgery? Are hospital in Luzern better then in Interlaken? Should I go to Zurich?

It is outpatient surgery in USA, but here they say it is 2 days in the hospital
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 01:01 AM

Hard luck having an accident during your holidays ! May I ask what happened?

I can only tell Spital Interlaken is used to tourist patients. Being a small city, there is only one hospital (at least a main one). In Lucerne and Zurich there are a little more chance of hit or miss maybe because there are more than 1 hospital to choose from. It could simply be just as fine though. Hope you will get through this safely as easily as possible.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 01:08 AM

> Spital Interlaken is used to tourist patients.

Due to hiking (summer) and ski (winter) accidents that occur a lot in the region. For complicated cases, they would transport the patient by ambulance or helicopter to Bern, the closest big city with a University hospital and other choices.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would ask the doctor who took care of you. Tell him the cirucumstances and ask him what he would do.

I would think the hospital in Luzern is bigger and has more technology available. I've been to the Luzern hospital a couple of times (visitor only) because that's where patients in my area go to for more complicated operations. The hospital is on a hill and not right in the middle of town though.

Here's a link with the hospital in Lucerne. Search for the orange "h" for hospital.

http://map.search.ch/luzern?poi=spital
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 12:54 AM

Of those two choices, Luzern.
But I would pick a major university affiliated hospital like the one in Bern or here in Basel.
FWIW, Basel would be my choice, the city is less hilly than Bern, easier to get around in, with an extensive tram networks. And every tram line features easy access, low entries.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:01 AM

Good advice from above. However, Luzern also has trams that will take you to the hospital.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies! So helpful!
HOwever, I have done the surgery in Interlaken. Stopped on the way to Luzern, was in great pain, liked ortopedic surgennt, and went for it. I think it went OK. Spent one night in the hospital, and now in Lucern.
Hopefully, something works out with a wheel chair tomorrow.
Lucern old town is only 10 mins from my hotel - and it is too far from me to walk. So, frustrating!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Hi Helen, Welcome to Luzern! It's a beautiful day, isn't it? Have you rented a wheelchair? If not and you're still interested, ask the hotel receptionist to help you. Bring the list of wheelchair rentals to save some time.

It's too beautiful of a day to stay indoors. Not a cloud in the sky. A perfect day for a boat ride!