Search

Switzerland - please help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland - please help!

Hi,

After some research I need some expert advice from you folks!

I want to visit Switzerland in May after my Italy trip. I can only afford 3 days maximum, let's say. I know for most of you this itenary will be frantic - but please bear with me. I want to see the beautiful alps S is known for and just experience a taste of S in these 3 days.

So from Milan would it make sense to go to Zurich by train. Be based in Zurich and do day trips to Luzern and Jungfrau?
From Zurich I can go to Luzern and sightsee Pilatus(is this worth it?) and then take the Golden Pass train to Interlaken (see Grindlewald or Murren?)Then take the train trip to JungFrau(which i hear is absolutely beautiful) - the cost is very expensive to get to the top?? Then from Interlaken back to Zurich and USA.

Makes more sense to go from Zurich day trip to Luzern then day trip from zurich to Interlaken(grindlewald) and then onto Jungfrau?? HOpe i'm making sense , i find this swiss thing confusing!

Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:26 PM

Let's tackle the big question first.
Why base yourself in Zürich if your objective is to see the Alps?

These facts may help you answer the question.

The Jungfraujoch is a 5 hour trip each way from Zürich, for a total of 10 hours riding time alone. The cost round trip between Interlaken Ost and Zürich is 114 chf; the cost of the trip from Interlaken Ost to the "Joch" and return is 168.80 chf normal ticket, for a total of 282.80 or about $225.00

Zürich to Mürren takes 3.5 hours each way. The cost is 146.80 chf there and back. Many of the trails will be snowed in a that time of year, but you can find a restaurant in Mürren that will give you a great view on a clear day.
The Jungfrau seems at your finger tips.

And, finally, do you mean itinerary?
I am not sure I know what an itenary is.

At any rate, your first answer should be to the question "Why Zürich?"
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:31 PM

I am sure you will get lots of opinions on this one, and admittedly my time in Switzerland is more limited than I would like. You have many options. I would use most or all of the time for the Interlaken area. The Jungfrau is expensive, but it is so wonderful that you will likely not miss the money at all. You could go to Zurich from there for the flight. If you really want to see Luzern, which is nice indeed, you may be able to leave your bags in a locker for the day at the train station in Luzern, see the city, and then pick up the bags and go on to Zurich. We did this in route to Bern once, from which we were to catch a train to Paris.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:37 PM

As Bob said, leave Zurich out of the equation, unless it is simply your point of departure for home. When I went to Switzerland, it was the result of a trip I won. The trip was supposed to be for Zurich only. My first thought was "Are you kidding? Who wants to go to Switzerland and not be in the Alps?" Shows you the travel agent didn't have a clue (but I will not get into that long story). I set up the trip myself, after the sponsoring travel agency went out of business, flew into Zurich, and took the train straight out of the Zurich airport to Bern and on to the Berner Oberland.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:29 PM

Bern and Lucerne are both great cities. Lucerne is one of my favorite cities to visit.

Every time I visit Lucerne, I take a trip up to Mt. Pilatus. It is worth it! Make sure you take the cable car up and the Cograil down (it is the world's steepest cograil).

Note: When taking the cograil down, you have to take the train back into Lucerne. It is very easy to do.

Also, make sure you get off at "Fräkmüntegg" stop on the way up to the top of Pilatus. They have a great toboggan run that is a lot of fun.

Mt. Pilatus website: www.pilatus.com

Lucerne Website: www.luzern.org
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:18 AM
jmw

Hi, travel04. What time does your flight leave from Zurich? If it is not too early, you can, indeed, stay in Lucerne for your three nights and daytrip to the Jungfrau (a 2.5 to 3 hour rail trip through beautiful scenery). Lucerne and its lake are spectacular for "a taste of Switzerland." Or, you might consider staying in a small town nearer the Jungfrau, say Brienz on its lake, with great rail connections both to Lucerne and to Jungfrau villages. Of course, in this case you'd still have to go to Zurich the night before your departure most likely. Or I suppose you could just stay in the mountains (thousands of comments about same at this board) and stay one night in Zurich. The choice is not an easy one. I think I'd go with Lucerne if my departure time made it possible. J.

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 05:06 AM

I know it's tempting to want to scoot around as much as possible, but for 3 days I would base in Berner Oberland. I was introduced to this region on this Board, and people like Bob Brown.(hi Bob, formerly Don) You will definitely fill a 3 day schedule. Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald, Jungfrau, etc. Yes, Lucerne, the lakes and Pilatus are beautiful, but for your limited time I would experience the magic of BO. Enjoy!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 05:55 AM

How about Milan - Brig. Either overnight 00.21 or morning 0505 to beautiful Saas Fee (next valley to Zermatt but better) and go up to the Allalin Glacier. It now has the highest underground railway and highest revolving restaurant in the world. There is also the Ice Pavilion to see. (www.saas-fee.ch,also in English) The town is also carless like Zermatt but to my mind more natural. Stay overnight and then back to Brig. Then Andermatt - Goschenen to Luzern or Bern to Interlaken (Jungfau) As you only have three days either you can stay somewhere for longer than one day or see it from a train. May is Spring as well so the Andermatt Goschenen trip is wonderful.
www.switzerlandisyours.com and www.sbb.ch all very helpful and you can add the Milan Brig into the timetable. Have a great time