One more ATM question

Search

One more ATM question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more ATM question

If I ONLY have a savings account (no checking account) linked to my ATM card, will my ATM card work in Italy?

I am getting the impression that ATM / debit cards linked to checking accounts are the only cards that will work in Italy.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM

To my knowledge the debit card must be linked to your savings account. Can;t you just have your bank change this for you?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM

You had better check with your bank. When I travel and do not use the ATM at my bank or one of its branches the funds can only come out of the checking account. You should also check to see if there is a limit on how much you can withdraw at a time keeping in mind the euro to the dollar and allow for that. Also check with your bank to see if they allow you to take the maximum on a friday after 3 p.m. US time (when most banks finish their day) and do you have to wait until monday for more funds.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:36 PM

It's my understand that debit cards and ATM cards are linked to <b>checking accounts.</b>

Does anybody have any first-hand knowledge of an ATM/Debit Card linked to a Savings Account?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:44 PM

I must be missing something here. I don't understand why it would matter whether they're linked to a savings account or a checking account. As long as they're linked to an account with money in it...
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Yes, I had an ATM card linked only to a savings account. Contrary to the empty assurances by my bank customer service, it DID NOT work in France. Luckily, I did not believe a bit what he said so I used an alternte ATM card linked to a checking account at another bank.

Afterwards, when we went over the failed transaction, he admitted that the type of tranaction performed by the French ATM machine was DDA, and the card needed to be primarily linked to a checking account to accept that type of request, duh...
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>I don't understand why it would matter whether they're linked to a savings account or a checking account</i>&quot;

Normally in the States, when using an ATM you get the option to choose Savings or Checking. You generally do not get that option in Europe. If there is no checking acct - you can't access your funds.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

I definitely have an ATM card linked solely to a savings account (it is with a credit union).

I would not believe what the credit union tells me anyway - - I have a lot more faith in what people on these message boards with actual experience have to say about this subject matter.

It sounds like the ATMs in Europe give you no choice (checking vs. savings) AND only work with checking accounts. I am seeking to confirm that this is the case in Italy.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM

YOu can get your bank to link your ATM/debit card to whatever account you want. Just tell them. Mine's linked to two checking accounts. My daughter's card is linked primarily to her checking account, and if that'sempt, it defaults to her checking account.My son's card is linked exclusively to his savings account. Just tell your bank how you want it set up.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't know about Italy, but ATM cards linked to savings accounts will NOT work in Switzerland. Learned about this the hard way...
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM

It needs to be linked to a checking account. Open up a free checking account at another bank and get an ATM card even if you only need it for travel.

You need a 4-digit pin number.

It is better if your family has 2 separate ATM cards for 2 separate accounts. Sometimes one of them stops working halfway through the trip for no reason. This happened to us in Italy.

You need to notify your bank that you will be in Italy.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 02:40 PM

I just returned from Europe last week. I wanted to use the debit card tied to my savings account due to lower fees, but could not get it to work in France or Switzerland. Luckily, I also had the debit card for my checking account and it worked fine.