I admit - Ignorance

Search

I admit - Ignorance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I admit - Ignorance

Okay, I have posted input on wearing sandals in Italy (travelling to Venice, Florence area, Sorrento, and Rome). I have read about feet being so dirty from walking around. Why? How are the roads, walkways so different from N.A. (Canada). I was going to be wearing skirts (easy to care for and very comfortable in the warm weather), but I am at a loss on the type of footwear after reading responses to various threads. Help please.....
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:44 PM
cw

I wore my Teva circuit sandals all through Rome, Sorrento, Capri, and Paestum, a few years ago. They were cool, comfortable, and sturdy.

The only place where my feet (and the rest of me) were covered with dust was after a day a Pompeii.

Wear what's comfortable for you.

CW
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM

I think it's mainly due to walking so much more than roads/walkways being different. After walking 10 miles in Rome, my feet were dirty in sandals ... unfortunately, not many people in America (or maybe Canada for that matter) walk that much in a day in sandals. I could be wrong, but that was just my take on why my feet were so dirty.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Streets in Italian cities do tend to be dirtier than they are in Canada.

I agree 100% with wearing skirts; they are much cooler than capris and pants.

Personally, I wear closed shoes (not sandals, not - God forbid! - flip-flops), because on the uneven cobblestone streets they give me the support I need. When I was young and carefree, I wore strappy little sandals with high heels, but I am no longer prepared to risk twisting an ankle for the sake of looking "fashionable".
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM

P.S. When I say "closed" shoes, I do not mean lace-up walking shoes - just comfortable flats.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:56 PM

and let me weigh in once again, on those quote, "God forbid" flip-flops-they are the most comfortable footwear you can do in these areas-I've always worn them, in Italy and everywhere else, I've NEVER gotten my feet dirty, I wore them ALL over Rome this past August, all day, and my feet were not blistered, rubbed or hot in any way.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love sandals in hot weather (I don't wear skirts myself but capris or long loose shorts). Probably at home you don't walk for about 8 hours straight... or that's my theory about getting dusty. I just take a shower or at least wash/soak my feet at the end of a day's touring.

Also I have some little various patterened or colored sockletts that look OK with certain sandals. Because the sandals are directly against skin, I have found blisters more of a potential problem... than dirt!

For me, I couldn't stand to wear closed shoes in a heatwave.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM

If your not used to walking on cobblestones they can be tiring for feet. Get sturdy sandals with good support. If your feet get dirty they are washable.
I think the flip flop issue really has to do with age. When your young you can abuse your feet in many ways that you'd never dream about when you hit 40.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:01 PM

You get my standard reply to the Fashion Police: Wear whatever is comfortable for you remembering that shorts and bare shoulders are a "no go" for many churches in Italy.

And, yes, the level of dirt is greater than in large cities in North America. The Tiber is also visibly polluted and there are nutria (large members of the rat family) in the Arno in Florence.

Having said all of that, your feet might get a bit dirtier in sandals, but, if that doesn't bother you, wear your sandals by all means.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Wearing flip-flops is hardly confined to an age! The problem is, people continue to think of the flimsy dime store flip-flops when they think of walking around in them while traveling. That's simply an erroneous assumption: Rocket Dog flip-flops have a 2 inch foam cushion underneath them: it's like wearing little pillows on the feet-my pair took me through Rome and Venice with nary a dirty foot-and I DO have problem feet, which is why I wear FF with such comfortable support underneath.

Another excellent brand is Teva flip-flops-a sturdier pair you could not ask for-they'll carry you through any amount of sightseeing with no blisters.

So folks who have never worn good comfortable FF need to get past this idea that they offer no "support" the good ones do, and your feet will be ever so much better off at the end of the day.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Spygirl,

The thought of walking on a two-inch high platform, however soft and comfortable, is not what I think of as safe on uneven cobblestone streets.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM

I was one of the people who wrote about filthy feet from sandals in Rome. I do about the same walking in NYC and I've never gotten that dirty. I don't know what the difference is. It just is. It wouldn't nec. stop me from wearing what's comfortable, but I'd be prepared with wet wipes or something like that if after a morning of walking around I was going to a nice restaurant. Just remember to wear something with a sole that's comfortable on cobblestone. I was miserable in Venice with leather soled shoes.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Spygirl, Thank you for standing up for flip flops! I almost sprained my ankle last summer in a pair of $120 Dansko sandals that came highly recommended for traveling. I've never so much as tripped wearing Reef flip flops. Not that the Danskos actually contributed to the near accident, and they are great, comfortable traveling shoes,but sometimes we are fooled into thinking that more "proper, "walking," and "comfort" (and expensive)shoes are the only way to protect our traveling feet. I hope this translates well on the board; I certainly am not criticizing anyone's choice of shoes, since feet do need to be protected and everyone is different. I just wanted to second Spygirl's suggestion that flip flops are a good alternative for many people who may not have considered wearing them before for travel.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM

We all have different feet and different feet problems. That is why, IMO, asking for suggestions regarding shoe brands does not guarantee that the suggestions will work for everyone. But of course it does give one a good idea as to all of the selections available.

As I mentioned on another thread to SpyGirl, I have found these last couple of years that FF's work really well for me. I have three pair of Clarke FF's and I live in them! But someone else could have a complete different experience.

I have several pair of Ferragamo high heels. They use to work wonderfully for me..now I only use them for going to dinner or where I will be sitting a lot.

I do have a pair of good looking Coach shoes..what they call trainers in Italy. Very sleek looking, a slipon, no laces. I purchased them at Nordstrom's in Portland, OR. I can walk miles and miles in them. But they don't work if it is a real hot day. I can't stand enclosed shoes on a hot day.

I have a pair of Nike's. I don't even know why I bought them. I don't like clunky looking atheletic shoes. And after two hours the soles of my feet are burning. So I only wear them in winter when it is stormy weather and I have to run out a do a few errands. I really don't care if they get ruined or not.

Anyway Travel_Bug_Cin, shoes that work for you will make or break your time in Italy. Do go shopping. And do wear whatever you buy for a few full day before packing them. You don't want to get to Italy and discover your shoes aren't comfortable.
Best regards..and I hope that I am able to post this..Fodor's website has been a problem today.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM

One of the reasons sandaled feet get so dirty in Rome is, I think, that you are often walking on the same surfaces that cars and motorcycles travel, instead of sidewalks.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM

It's actually quite simple. Many of the sidewalks in Italy are not modern pavements - they're cobblestones - which collect huge amounts of dirt between them. Also - in many places - esp sidestrets - there is little differentiation between road and sidewalk - so you're using the same places that cars are - walking in powdered exhaust.

Yes - there is much more dust and dirt (not trash but dirt) on the places you'll be walking. So I would assume your feet will be quite dirty by the end of the day.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM

This isn't an answer to the question, but a recommendation for some really comfortable and inexpensive Italian "flipflops" you can buy online (or in Italy if you happen to be there - the factory's in Assisi):

www.sensi.com
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Walking around all day in sandals does tend to get your feet dirty a bit.
Your feet aren't covered...remember?

And also can get your ankles sore if you're not used to doing a lot of walking in sandals/flip flops.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I always take some mole skin, just incase. I'm pretty careful about my shoes so haven't needed it, but ya never know and to have a blister is not a good thing. I got three pair of Clarke sandals for this summer and find that two pair are really comfortable and one pair not so much, so be sure, as advised by others, get your shoes early and WALK in them. I like the Clarkes...soles are cushioned and they are not little strappy things, have a bit more leather on them so I have support. I used to own almost nothing but high heels, 200 pair to be exact..and my last name isn't even Marcos!!! LOL.. wore them everywhere and with everything, except shorts. Hard to imagine these days. I don't wear skirts too much when it's really hot and sticky...I have to powder!!! LOL I find I do a lot of things differently than I used to. Old age? Naw!!!! What then? Hmmm....Can't think of anything else so I guess old age it is. LOL
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Crefloors, I don't think I had 200 pair of high heels but I sure could have come in second with the amount of high heels, LOL. And I wore them from 7:00am to around 11:00pm at night. I came home from the office and wore them while cooking dinner, having a cocktail, eating dinner, cleaning up from dinner, watching TV. Those were the days my friend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -