One day trips from Rome

Mar 31st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

One day trips from Rome

Hi,
Can anyone please suggest a 1-day trip from Rome? I have already been to Naples (Pompeii and Mt. V) and Pisa. Any other cities which can be visited (and explored) in a short time. I know that a single day will not justify any Italian city, but that's all the time I have

Thanks
Mar 31st, 2007, 10:43 AM

Orvieto
Mar 31st, 2007, 01:22 PM

Florence or Venice
My husband and I did two day trips from Rome last February and really enjoyed our (short) visit to those two places!
Mar 31st, 2007, 01:46 PM
sjj

If you mean a trip in which you leave and come back on the same day using public transportation, I suggest Ostia Antica or Tivoli. If you have a car, try Viterbo.
Mar 31st, 2007, 01:49 PM

I was in Rome in February and we did a lovely day trip to Orvieto. It is within an hour from Rome, easy by train, and it is a beautiful hill town. We got there in time for the underground tour in English, then walked around the town, had a delicious lunch and enjoyed with Orvieto Classico wine, and came back to Rome in the late afternoon.

Florence is also an easy day trip but you need to organize your time very well and if you are interested in going to museums (Accademia -to see "David", the Uffizi, or the Bargello) you must make reservations in advance. It is a great place to spend a day - museums, food, and great shopping.
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:50 AM
ira

Hi IH,

Orvieto for a daytrip.

Florence for an overnight.

Apr 1st, 2007, 07:11 AM

I would vote for Ostia Antica. It is a very relaxing and easy trip on the train. No tourists or crowds.
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:58 AM

Assisi is a good daytrip from Rome, an even better overnight. However, if a day is all you have, then go at it for a day, don't miss it. Beautiful hilltop, medieval layout (compact) city. Take a express train from Termini, about $24/pp OW first-class. The train will drop you at the main station, take a bus to the top and explore. STRONGLY recommend it.