Day trips from Rome?

Search

Day trips from Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Rome?

My husband and I will be in Rome for 4 days and 5 nights in late April/early May and are thinking about taking a day trip to Florence and/or Pisa. However, with our limited time, should we opt to stay in Rome and forget the day trip(s)?
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:01 PM

look up the casteli di roma and spend 1 day visiting the towns of frascati and morino
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Florence is possible, just 90 minutes away by train. Pisa would be further and more difficult to reach--I woul dnot recommend it. My favorite day trip from Rome is Orvieto, a lovely hill town in Umbria that is easily reached by train and closer than Florence .
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:04 PM

If this is your 1st trip to Rome, stay in Rome. There is so much to see and you need to take time to actually see and experience Rome itself. Florence would be a wonderful day trip if you had 6-8 days, but Rome is worth every bit of the 4 days. Save Florence for your next visit...
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:05 PM

I wouldn't do that, with such a short time in Rome. I'd spend half a day at Ostia Antica.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:39 PM

If this is your first time to Rome and you only have 4 nights then I would wholeheartedly encourage you to stay in Rome all four days. There is so much to do and see and you can devote a day to a section or area because while it is a walkable city it is still a large city. I have been to Rome a lot so I really advise you to stay put and enjoy.

...I do agree that Florence is a workable day trip (provided that you make reservations for Uffizi and Accademia in advance, assuming that you may be interested in seeing both museums. Florence is small and easy to maneuver in a day. Orvieto is a lovely day trip (but maybe if you've already been to Florence). I wouldn't go to Ostia if I have four days...I'd just stay put because there is enough antiquity to keep you busy in Rome. I find that an afternoon in the Borghese gardens or walk on Palatine feels like a daytrip.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi tartan,

a day trip somewhat closer at hand is to tivoli to see the villa d'este and hadrian's villa, both of which would be lovely in late spring.

metro to Mammolo on line B, then bus to tivoli [only some of them go to villa adriani or get a local bus when you get there].

as we were lazy [and DD had decided to wear flipflops and had horrendous blisters] we never got to Hadrian's villa. but we did have a lovely long lunch and then got the bus back to Rome.

ergards, ann
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Rome is my favorite city, so I'm a biased responder...but if I only had 4 days and 5 nights in Rome, I would not consider leaving!

Even if you make no plans to do anything, the city itself is a so stimulating, so beautiful, so rich in life and culture...you could wander the streets for months without getting bored, imo.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM

A daytrip wouldn't do Florence justice anyways. Stay in Rome.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Based on your responses, I think we'll stay in Rome. If by some fluke we have the time, then we'll try Florence. But I have a feeling we'll be busy enough in Rome.