Day Trip from Rome: Florence or Orvieto

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Day Trip from Rome: Florence or Orvieto

Considering a day trip with two children, ages 8 and 14 from Rome. Trying to decide between Rome and Orvieto. Spouse favors Florence and wants to visit Boboli Gardens, but given that we are going to Pompeii on a different day on our 8 day trip, I am concerned about being museumed, walked, and trained-out. Opinions please, thank you.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, that is day trip to Florence or Orvieto...
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM

With only 8 days and a long day trip to Pompeii,
Orvieto is closer and probably more relaxing trip.
It is a lovely spot.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM

If you only want to see gardens why not go to Villa d'Este about 40 minutes outside Rome.

http://www.villadestetivoli.info/galleriae.htm
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM

Would Villa Borghese gardens in Rome suit for the garden fix?

I was in Orvieto (and Rome, Florence) in the last two weeks. I like the scale of Orvieto (one of the reasons I went there was the great recommendations of other Fodorites), the cuisine, the lovely Duomo, the town, and the like; the kids might enjoy the trip up the funicular from the train station area. Florence is great, of course, and a two hour express train away, but in your shoes I'd go for Orvieto, and save Florence for another trip.

If you need some respite from busy, intense Rome while you are in Rome, try to get over to Trastevere for a walk and a nice meal at a trattoria such as ristorante La Scala.
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM

Hi there, I would take the previous posters advice and perhaps visit Villa d'este for the garden fix. Orvieto is just 1 hr by train and has some great things to see, make sure you tour the underground andd take the funicular!

If you are visiting Pompeii from Rome remember that it is a VERY long day trip - you are looking at around 6 or more hours travelling time, so plan on an early start and a late arrival home to Rome.

Florence is 1hr 40 mins by train from Rome and costs 39,90 euros per person (unsure of kids prices) one-way.

Have fun,
Melissa
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM

We've been to both Orvieto and Florence with our 2 daughters ages 10 and 14, and they tell me they preferred Orvieto. We took the Orvieto underground tour and climbed down San Patrizio's well; they loved the climb up Torre del Moro with FANTASTIC views of the countryside, and the Duomo is very accessible- enough art to enjoy, but not too much to overwhelm. The food was fantastic, and the people friendly; and if you can stay into the evening, the passagiata is some of the best people watching in Italy. All in all, a much easier day trip from Rome. And as far as the train fare, I think our 10 year old paid half price- It was around 13 euros per person each way (2nd class) , half that for the younger child (try to take the IC train as it is a little nicer). For us, Florence was more of a "big" city like Rome, where as Orvieto is a small town; It will give you a very different taste of Italy.

On our last trip in April we visited both Orvieto early in our trip and Pompeii later on. As we were walking through the ruins of Pompeii, we turned down a main road where the buildings had most of their first floors intact. My older daughter commented that the street looked very much like Orvieto- for us, it really made Pompeii "come alive" and seem like a real place where people lived- and not just an archaeological site.

Enjoy! We can't wait to go back.