one day in Prague

Search

one day in Prague

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one day in Prague

I will have one full day and 2 nights in Prague in June. What would you recommend as a must-see? Would taking a guided tour be my best bet for siteseeing? Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM

Hi
We spent 5 days in Prague in 1998. I don't recommend a tour. We wandered in and out of tour groups and couldn't see why anyone wanted to stand in them. In the first place the speakers had such thick accents they were difficult to understand. In the second place if you were more than a few feet away from the speaker then hearing was a problem. Buy a little travel book of Prague and let it direct you as you wander around on your own. It's a walking town and there's lots of walking to do. If you only have one day then try to find a place to stay near the old town. You'll really want to spend some time in and around old town. The day we arrived there was a medieval parade marching through which was a wonderful way to begin our enchanting stay. You'll want to walk through old town and walk the awesome bridge that crosses the Vltava River. Vendors abound with all sorts of medieval trappings to sell. Shops all over. Restaurants all around. (Czech food is not the greatest. Don't eat the hot dogs. The pear yogurt is awesome. Pilsner Beer is good). There are a great many musical studios and theaters along the way that offer concerts all through the day. If you continue up the narrow road from the bridge you'll walk up the steep hill to the castle and St. Vitas Church. The stained glass in St. Vitas Church is the most colorful and beautiful I've ever seen. I wish I'd bought a chess set in one of the shops up there. If you have time to do some shopping there are jewelry shops that have some nice items featuring rubbies. Crystal is another item you might want to look at. The Jewish section is interesting. It takes off just beyond the main square in old town. It's really too bad you'll only have one day for Prague. If you appreciate old architecture it's the place to be. If you don't, pay attention to it anyway. You'll be glad you spent even one day in Prague. We stayed at a place called the Pension Brezina, I believe was the name. It was about a 15 minute walk to old town. We had a suite of 2 bedrooms (one room had a set of twin beds and the other had 3 twin beds) and a tiny closet kitchen, bath/shower, and a separate room with toilet all for about $35 per night. Continental breakfast was an extra $3 per person. It was very nice and very clean. The dollar was much higher back then and probably bought much more than it does today. At the time I think the rate was about 36 to 40 ck per USD. We flew into the airport and the the Pension had told us which taxi or van to take. Apparently there are some that are not trustworthy. DO NOT ride a bus. People are packed in and apparently it's a good place to have your pockets picked. There's a lodging board inside the airport where you can push a button and talk to the pension/hotel, etc. I hope this helps. We love Prague and would love to go back again someday.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:33 PM

In one day, I would say the castle complex up on the hill, and the main Old Town Square plus Charles Bridge. This is do-able in one day. If you have more time, I'd throw in the St Nicholas church in Mala Strana, not far from the bridge on that side of the river.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:53 PM

It's a shame you have such a short time to spend in such a wonderful city, but agree thoroughly with Christina's suggestions. You might also want to attend a concert or opera one of the evenings you are there. We particularly liked the Mucha Museum and museum shop.

Garnets and crystal are the things to buy. Also wooden toys.

Czech food is fabulous if that's what your grandmother cooked when you were a child! I was in heaven with the pork, dumplings, sauerkraut and superb beer.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

Hi
If you just like to stroll and wander and see what you can see, that's one approach.
However, if you would like an organized and narrated approach to seeing some of the major sights, then in contrast to an earlier post, I'd suggest hiring a private guide, if that is affordable. When I was there we used the services of Dana Chaloupka and her English is excellent. Her website is
http://sweb.cz/travelcz
However, there are a number of guides that offer such services.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:41 PM

I agree with Christina. We were in Prague for 10 days and it was not too long. I would go back. However, you will do well to follow Christina's advise. Be sure to eat some Czech food.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:56 PM

I travelled to Prague this past July, staying 7 nights. If I had one day in Prague, I would visit the Jewish Quarter, off of Pariska Street. Here, I would take a turn through the old cemetery, and visit the Pinkas Synogogue, which displays drawings of the children prisoners of Terezin. I would then walk through the Old Town Square to view the Town Hall Clock. You can venture on to the Charles Bridge, on to Mala Strana, and up the hill to St. Vitus Cathedral.

My favourite restaurant in Prague is DAVID, near the US Embassy. The food is fabulous.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:02 PM

I agree with TG, Restaurant David is wonderful and when I return to Prague I do hope to have dinner there again.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:49 AM
MaureenB

With just one day, I'd skip Wenceslas Square, it wasn't much to see and has lots of teen-type clothing shops and fast food. Also the only place we saw blatant pickpocketers at work.

Instead, I'd second the idea of walking all over old town, the square, across the bridge, up to the castle (definitely pay for the tour there), over to the convent (can't remember its name), climb a tower or two to get the view (like the church near old town), cross the bridge at night to see its magic. You will definitely want to return to Prague.

Stay in town at one of the many places recommended on fodors.com's other threads. Pension Dientzenhofer is always recommended, for example. We stayed at Pension U Lilie which was just ok. Clean, and can't beat its location, though it was slightly shabby.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:22 AM
ira

Hi Huo,

I think that the Pension Dientzenhofer would be a very good place for you to stay.

It is across the river, on a small canal, near the Charles Bridge and would allow you to walk to the Old Town and wander.

http://www.abaka.com/Czech/Dientzenhofer/