Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The one (or two....) things you would absolutely do, see, eat,photograph etc in Prague

Search

The one (or two....) things you would absolutely do, see, eat,photograph etc in Prague

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling to Prague in August, arriving on Friday the 10th and spending 5 nights. Have been reading and planning but would like to hear some first hand experiences. I have searched Prague on this forum and appreciate the information I have gathered to date, but it would be great to hear more. One specific question, when doing a walking tour do you think we should wait until Monday or try to do it on the weekend Thanks in advance
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM

If you had more than 5 nights, I'd say wait until Monday, but I don't think that's a realistic option. Here's my list:

1. The Charles Bridge (if you can manage, go at dawn and see it quiet and beautiful in the morning light). Definitely go back at night.
2. The Castle and the Cathedral. Beautiful but crowded (I'd wait and do this on Monday actually).
3. Tyn Church - especially beautiful at night.
4. The clock at the Old Town Hall on Old Town Square. But try to avoid the crowds ... mornings seem to work best, so go after the Charles Bridge.
5. The Bone Church in Sedlec.
6. Kutna Hora .. a beautiful town. I'd save this for Tuesday as a day-trip.
7. The Jewish Quarter and synagogues.

That would be my itinerary, with plenty of time for shopping, dining, and beer.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 03:57 PM

I always wanted to go to the donut shop where you can pay a fee and throw donuts at anyone in the place.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

My daughter wants to know where the donut shop is AisleSeat! We may save it for a few days in, when we might like to throw something at each other
The ideas about timing are helpful. Like everyone, or at least I assume, we like a combination of seeing the highlights at a pace allowing us to appreciate them and then people watching from a sidewalk cafe. The best memories are often the unexpected ones. That's why I am posting, I'm looking for your special moments in Prague that they might like to share. It sounds like there are many great parks and a picnic sounds inviting. Which brings me to, where can you buy wine and can you drink it in public?
We are looking at a possible day trip so will consider your suggestion Doug. Thanks again
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM

I second Doug's recommendation of seeing the Charles Bridge at dawn. I was in Prague last September and made a point of getting up early one day and walking to the bridge to take pictures. It was one of the best moments of my trip. It was about 7am (not too terribly early!) and starting to be a beautifully sunny day.

It was nice seeing the bridge without the "hordes of humanity" walking over it!

And I got a completely different perspective of the Old Town at that hour in the morning.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

I have read that seeing the Charles bridge at sunrise and sunset are both beautiful sites. We are staying in Mala Strana on Kampa Island and I am thinking it shouldn't be a problem to view he Bridge at either of those times.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:34 PM

I saw the donut shop on a Samantha Brown show and I don't remember the name but I'll bet if you asked someone in Prague they would know. Maybe they should call it "KrispyCream-ed".
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi...Aisle Seat I found the name of the donut free throw destination, its actually a cafe..I'm at work and my "Fodors -See It " is at home so I'm relying on memory but think it was the Imperial Cafe near the Jewish section.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM

There are dozens (if not more) classical concerts daily all over the city. You will be handed a flyer wherever you go, advertising them. Pick one and go. I went to the Lux palace and saw a chamber orchestra. It was beautiful and inexpensive.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Yes it is the Imperial cafe I had a lovely breakfast there you get a free donut with your coffee. www.hotelimperial.cz/cafe/home.asp
It is a beautiful Art Nouveau stlye with wonderful titles the place must have been fab in it's hay day,is well worth popping just for a coffee. They have stopped this now. http://www.abcprague.com/img/abc-prague.gif
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:30 PM

<<"I saw the donut shop on a Samantha Brown show and I don't remember the name but I'll bet if you asked someone in Prague they would know. Maybe they should call it "KrispyCream-ed".>>

Actually, I think it's called "Duckin' Donuts".

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM

My "must see" would be the bottom of a 1 liter beer glass.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:02 PM

I've been to Prague many times...when I worked in Holland for 4 years, I flew there 4 or 5 times a year for a long weekend. Be certain to check out the following (not necessarily in order):
1. Old Town Square (Stare Mesto)...one of my favorite places for sitting down outside, having a beer or coffee, and people watch.
2. Prague Castle....get a tour.
3. Jewish Quarter/Cemetery....pay to go through the cemetery.
4. Walk the streets leading to/from Stare Mesto.
5. Charles Bridge....wonderful pedestrian bridge; vendors sell things, many hand made/painted
6. Lesser Town, or Mala Strana....on other side of Charles Bridge from Stare Mesto.
Two restaurants I really like:
1. Kampa Park....right on the river, beneath the Charles Bridge....kind of expensive, but very nice.
2. Peklo. This is up near Prague Castle...every time I've been in it, very few people have been there, but it is in an old wine cellar, and the atmosphere and food are both really good.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

<"I saw the donut shop on a Samantha Brown show and I don't remember the name but I'll bet if you asked someone in Prague they would know. Maybe they should call it "KrispyCream-ed".>>

Actually, I think it's called "Duckin' Donuts".

I think here in Canada a version of this donut shop might serve "Tim Hits" with their famous coffee.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM

bookmarking

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Zermatt2..thanks for the comments. I have purchased a couple of Fodor guide books and the places you mentioned are familiar to me. This is our first trip to Prague and I so appreciate the "first hand experience" recommendations. I'm sure with all to see and do we will be a little bewildered. I am making notes from threads posted here. I am particularly grateful for the restaurant comments.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Charles Bridge and the view over to the Castle and St Vitus Cathedral

Wenseslas Square - very different to how I pictured it, but worth a visit

I love the old square with the gothic architecture, just sit and have a coffee and lap up the atmosphere

The clock

A little way from the Old Square is a wonderful Art Neuv building, the Municipal Building - its beautiful to look at from the outside.

I love Prague, its one of my favorite cities - Ive been twice and would go again.

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Oh Yes Kampa Park Restaurant. We had a lovely meal here, the food is wonderful, but don't go on a very empty stomach as the portions are NOT large, but they ARE delicacies.... the view is stunning too, looking out over the Charles Bridge
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Also, for Kampa Park, you likely will need reservations for dinner, especially weekends. Lunch probably will be ok without reservations.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:19 AM

One thing to watch out for: the taxis. Although Prague is a very "walkable" city, you might take a taxi if you go up to Prague Castle. Very few taxis are on meters, but they do exist. Most have a fixed price, depending on where you go. Be sure to get the price before you get in the cab. Last time I went to Prague, I think it was 200 to 300 Cz Crowns (Koruna) to go from Stare Mesto up to the castle. I've had taxi drivers tell me it was 500 Kc to go. When this happens, either tell them you'll pay 200 KC (or whatever the going rate appears to be, or less), or walk away. There are plenty of taxis around. At least when I have gone to Prague, taxis are notorious for overcharging tourists...you might read this in some of your travel books.
Richard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -