13-yr old in Prague

Search

13-yr old in Prague

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13-yr old in Prague

My husband and I will be traveling with our 13-yr old daughter to Prague in several weeks. We'll have 2 1/2 days there. We want to spend a whole day seeing the sights around Old Town Square and the castle. Our second day is unplanned. I'm curious to hear from travelers with young teens. What did your child enjoy most? Are there restaurants you'd recommend? Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:11 AM

I can't help with specific restaurants (can't remember) but I do remember one little place that a 13 yr old girl might like.

If you walk across the Charles Bridge (toward the castle) shortly after you finish crossing, on the right will be a little shop of soaps/lotions/potions. I bought some wonderful things there to bring home. It's intersting and smells great! (anybody know the name of it?)

Also - walking around the outdoor market is very interesting. Maybe buy her a nice garnet (they're cheap there) as a memento. There's lots of amazing artwork for sale too.

(I guess what I'm saying is: go shopping!) Have a blast!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:18 AM
MaureenB

Your daughter will probably be enchanted with Prague. The narrow, windy, cobblestone streets evoke fairy tale adventures!
There's a restaurant, also on the hill walking up from the Bridge to the Castle, on your right hand side as you go up. I think it's called the Bazaar or something like that. It's like a cave inside, with rock walls. We had a nice lunch there.
Another good place for lunch we found is at the Hotel Neruda, also on this same block. They have a nice rooftop cafe.
Otherwise, lots of little shops and reasonable prices all over Prague. Wenceslas Square, which we didn't care for, has more of the chain-stores for teens, and fast food. (It's busy and we saw active pickpockets there.)

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 08:34 AM

I fully recommend doing the 4 hour walking tour (yellow umbrella, Wenceslas Square at the statue), we did it on our 3rd day, and I wish we had done it sooner - you see so much, then you have the time to go back to the places that intrigued you. You get such a feel for the people and the history on that tour.

Also, avoid the National Museum. If you want, just go into the lobby, it is beautiful. Otherwise, quite boring - especially for a 13 year old. Walk along the Charles Bridge when it is full of artists and entertainers, we bought a good size watercolour there - the equivalent to $20 Cdn.

Have Fun! Prague is incredible - you will not want to leave!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM
J62

How about a Don Giovani marionette show?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:44 PM

OK... my daughter (13) and niece (15) enjoyed two things. Firt, the Lennon (that's John Lennon)Wall and some of the cute gift shops around it. Then one day we decided to walk until we found a restaurant where the menu isn't translated. We ended up in an area of amazing thrift shops. I let the girls spend an hour shopping - they bought the neatest, funkiest, cheapest clothes. Then we ate in a very out of the way place.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:01 PM
jeg

We took our 14 year old to Prague this past summer. She liked walking across the bridge and through the streets, looking at the shops. She liked the castle area. She also loved the Lennon wall. We went to the Don Giovanni marionette show and thought it was awful; she didn't like it at all. We felt the same way about a black light show, which we tried the next night.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:31 PM

Since you know her interests best, tell us what she likes. If she's into ballet or any kind of dance, you can see great productions there. Bazaar is a great choice for trendy style restaurants. Just DON'T order any kind of fish at that place. If she's into Gothic, she'll find a million places to go, and you won't even have to worry about how to entertain her. (The spires on the Tyn church will blow her mind away, and all the little goth shops around the bridge will fascinate..)
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Bazaar is closed for renovations and will be opening December 1 with a new theme: "Cowboys".

From pragueexperience.com:

Bazaar was always a hugely popular restaurant and we have no doubt that the new Coyboys will live up to and exceed the owners exacting standards of fine cuisine in interesting and entertaining surroundings.

Cowboys Restaurant will essentially be two restaurants in one. The main restaurant will be modern, but welcoming to all, furnished with large leather booths, wooden and brick tables, and ambient lighting. It is billed as offering the biggest, best and sexiest steaks in town. The atmosphere will be hip and lively, with good music, DJs, cowboy dancers and flair bartenders preparing a wide range of cocktails and special shots.

The second part of the restaurant is a heated rooftop garden, offering exceptional panoramic views over Prague. The elevated position of Cowboys Restaurant means that in the summer, the rooftop garden is a fine place for a spot of lunch after a visit to Prague Castle, or for an evening meal to admire the beauty of Prague as dusk rolls in and the city lights up. For colder nights, the terrace also has a heated indoor conservatory area.

Coyboys is a spacious cellar restaurant housed in a building which dates from the 17th century. It is located in the Mala Strana area of Prague and is a ten minute stroll from Charles Bridge up the Royal Way, Nerudova, towards Prague Castle.

The menu is set to offer fine cuts of meat and fish. Steaks will be from Uruquay, Brazil and the USA. A large choice of creative salads and tempting side dishes should ensure there is a dish for everyone.

A separate cocktail bar next to the restaurant is ideal should you wish to have a drink before dinner.

Cowboys we are sure will be a fine restaurant and well worth the walk for those not staying in Mala Strana.

Suitable for groups of all types, from business trips to groups of friends looking for something a little different.

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas! We will definitely spend some time poking through the shops and exploring the castle area. I'd like to see the Lennon Wall. Despite an unfavorable report, we still might try a marionette show, since it isn't something we see at home. I'm also wondering if a trip to Petrin Hill would be worth it. My book says the mirror labyrinth will be closed in Nov, but there still may be good exploring. I think the sculpture memorial to the victims of Communism sounds interesting. Has anyone been to the Vysehard Casemates? I also heard that there are tunnels somewhere in the castle area that were built by the Soviets. Anyone know about these?
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 01:50 AM
jeg

I'd forgotten in my earlier suggestions, but you reminded me -- we spent an afternoon with our teenage girls in the Petrin Hill area. The mirror labyrinth was fun, but we also enjoyed the tower and just walking around in the area. I'd recommend it. I'm not sure if the sculpture memorial to communism is the same one we saw, near the base of the hill and near the funicular, but we really appreciated seeing it. Have fun and let us know what you thought of the marionette show !
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 02:38 AM

How about one of the medieval themed restaurants? I took my fourteen and fifteen year old sons this summer in Tallinn and they had a blast. When we go to Prague over Christmas, we are planning on trying out U Sedmi Svabu.

http://viacarolina.cz/u7s/index_en.html

Have fun!

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 02:52 AM

Assume you have looked at all the info connected with www.praguepost.com

There are several Marionette shows in the city to choose from and I would agree on at least seeing one of them..doesn't take all that much time to do and if is is a wash..well, at least you found out first-hand.

If you choose to eat in one of the outdoor covered restaurants in the Hus sguare/Atrological clock area..and very much yes, the locals DO eat in them..watch for the silouette guys who do them and present them to you for purchase. Even if you decline their ingenuity is rather amazing and after all, it is part of the "local culture."

I think you will all fall in love with the place..take away the cars and the trams and suddenly you are in another bygone world.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM
MaureenB

Pinkerbelle, thanks for the info. on the Bazaar transformation to a Cowboy theme. Jeez, have to say I wish they wouldn't! Oh, well.
Maple, have you discovered the livinginprague.com site? It's a useful resource, created by a Prague local who lists his favorite places.

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Hi,
There's loads of interesting restaurants in Prague.
Here's one

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=402

Muck
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 02:10 PM

My 15 year old enjoyed the Communism Museum a lot in Prague. It only takes about 1 1/2 hours. The whole idea of the cold war is foreign to that age group and she might find it interesting.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:58 AM
ira

Hi maple,

If you think that she is old enough, I suggest a visit to the Pinkas Synagogue memorial and the old Jewish cemetery.

If you think that she is too young, I suggest that the adults go alone.

See http://www.jewishmuseum.cz/en/apinkas.htm

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 09:16 AM

What about attractions and activities that would interest a 13 year old boy?

Thanks.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 09:50 AM

I agree with Ira about the Pinkas Synagogue. I think your daughter would be interested in the room devoted to the drawings and memorabilia of the children imprisoned at Terezin. It is a very sad and emotional experience, but an important educational experience as well.

You daughter also may enjoy a jaunt around Wenceslas Square. A lot of young people hang out here, especially at the McDonald's near the National Museum.

If you are traveling to Prague, you must read the trip report of the famous Fodorite travel writer Thingorjus. His "Pancaky Papers: Thingorjus in Praha" is the definitive travel blog on Prague here at Fodors.

Uvidime se brzy
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM

I'm laughing about the transformation of "Bazaar" into "Cowboys". I knew something was up when I went there in April and saw the huge cow rotisserie in front of the place! They bought it from that cows on parade thing that was displayed the previous summer (where hundreds of cows are placed around town & painted by local artists). I even have a picture of the Bazaar cow! Now I'll have to go back to see what they've done. I agree with Maureen B about wishing they would have just left that place alone as it was! Oh well. Prague is always changing, so I guess it was bound to happen.. (by the way, the WORST tuna I've ever had was at that place!!)