Search

One day in Avignon

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2019, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Avignon

Hi All,

we'll have an 'easy' day in Avignon itself (part of three full days staying on the island) and we need some help with what to do. What would you recommend for such a day? We would not really like to do anything formal, except maybe the Popes Palace. We are 50+ and not interested in skydiving and the likes and we'll probably be in Avignon the other two evenings as well.

Thanks in advance.

Old May 19th, 2019, 08:18 AM

Get the Michelin Green Guide for Provence. Read the section about Avignon. Michelin gives "ratings" to the various sites. Hope your visit is not on a Sunday or Monday morning when most things will be closed.

Stu Dudley
Old May 19th, 2019, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi Stu, we will be there on a Sunday, but that is our L'Isle sur la Sorgue and Luberon day.

I have looked at the guide a;ready, so maybe we should do a structured walk around the old town after visiting the Popes Palace, except if there is something un-touristy we can do?
Old May 19th, 2019, 09:52 AM

What island?

Go to the official Avignon website and see if there's anything there that strikes you as "un-touristy." Maybe you could go to church or join a neighborhood cleanup.
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:07 PM

The Avignon tourist authority is very helpful for the city and surrounding area. It proposes various excursions or visits around and in the city. There's a decent art gallery, and always the city walls to walk. The view from the centre across the river is spectacular. Also, of course, the broken Roman bridge in the river where, for an admission fee, you too can dance like the kids' song. There used to be a free ferry to the nearest island allowing a healthy hike back to the highway bride at the edge of town. I could spend a couple of days in Avignon any time.
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
IMO, the Palace of the Popes is nice to view from the outside and take a few photos. The inside is huge, gray, and unfurnished so quite unremarkable. Just 1 persons opinion, I could be wrong.

Depending on the time of year & weather I’d walk along the river (picturesque) and then the town
and have lunch (cute shops & interesting restaurants)

Untouristy? I think you’d have to leave the immediate town itself.
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:24 PM

Another puzzlement about "on the island." Avignon is NOT an island.
Old May 19th, 2019, 05:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well - everything across the bridges is an island, surrounded by two branches of the river. The city is not on an island.
Old May 20th, 2019, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi, to clear my confusing post: we are staying on Isle de la Barthelasse at Hotel Restaurant la Ferme for four days in September. That is the island that I referred to in my OP. Please accept my apologies.

Southam and TPAYT, I think your recommendations are great, thank you very much. If the inside of the Palace of the Popes is not that interesting, then we'll surely consider not doing it.
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:38 AM

If you are looking for less touristy spots, visit nearby Villeneuve-lès-Avignon, charming medieval town with commanding views of Avignon from the walls of the Fort St.-André.
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:44 AM

The monastery in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon is also interesting and much less crowded than the Papal Palace.
FWIW I consider the Pope's Palace interesting, too.
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Vinonobile and Vttraveller. I took a quick look at Villeneuve-les-Avignon and it certainly seems worth a visit. I think we'll keep it in mind for a quick visit, but if Avignon keeps us too busy, then next time ....