Aix en provence or Avignon

Apr 24th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Aix en provence or Avignon

Hi

I have a day to spend in either Aix en Provence or Avignon. Can someone offer some thoughts as to what is there to offer for each city?

Many thanks
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:31 PM

Nothing against Aix, but I think all in all, Avignon has much more to offer.
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:36 PM

have a look at "Aix marks the spot" for a few different views!
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:04 PM

I probably spent more time in Aix and had a great time wandering around with a guide book (lonely Planet) looking at all the Roman bits eg fountains, cafes and shops. Avignon is also great - do a search here under both names.
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:36 PM

We spent three days in Avignon and it was fine, but very crowded and touristy. We didn't have a car so didn't get out to explore much, but were bored with the town after two days.
We stayed in Aix a full week and loved it, but then we had a car so spent most days out exploring the towns around it -- and there are many wonderful ones to explore. We enjoyed Aix as a great place to come back to each late afternoon and evening for the many restaurants and the great cafes along Cours Mirabeau. Although it too was busy and somewhat crowded, it didn't seem so "touristy" as Avignon.

I'm anxious to go back to Aix for another week. I doubt that I'll return to Avignon.
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:15 PM

"but then we had a car so spent most days out exploring the towns around it"

The best thing about Aix...is leaving it.
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM

No, you are wrong. The best thing about Aix was coming back to it every evening, strolling the "cours", having drinks at one or more of the cafes, and then wandering the little streets and finding a great place for dinner each night. We loved that!!!!
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:38 PM

Vive la differance! Everyone has different ideas about places. That's why you try to visit as many places as possible. So I will just be an ex-Aix visitor. But if you love it, that's ok, too. Have fun.
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:10 PM

ok I toss my vote for Avignon. I spent two weeks across the bridge in Villeneuve and loved the easy way to get around the city and out of town by train or bus. And far better restaurant
(except for the "clos de violette") My spelling of it may be off.
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:15 PM

Clos is in Aix, a few doors away from the beautiful Villa Gallaci
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:57 AM

I much preferred Aix - one of my favorite small cities in Europe. I liked everything about it. Avignon was also nice but the only time I was there was in July when the huge theatre/music festival was going on so it was very crowded and dirty (but also lively with lots of street performers). When are you going?
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:11 AM

Everyone is so different!! Spent 5 days in each 18 months ago. Aix was having a major plumbing/ roadworks overhaul, so the Cours Mirabeu , which I imagine would be charming usually was noisy and dirty. Check this out first before booking!

Avignon blew us away. It was majestic and grand and beautiful, but also small enough to become familiar with and feel at home in.

What they have to offer; Aix is (probably) a charming town- if the plumbing and roadworks are over! But Avignon's Palace du Papes and the Famous Bridge alone make this town a must, must see. If you only have a day, Avignon's little streets and cafes are as charming as those in Aix, but a palace like that is impossible to beat!! Go Avignon!
May 15th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for replying.

I actually managed to cover both Aix and Avignon within a day (having set out early in the morning). I think everyone was right in his or her own view. Avignon for the Palace of the Popes (and bridge) and Aix for the little streets. Personally, I think that the best way to enjoy Aix is to spend quite a few days day to just muck around. There really isn't a lot to see and do in Aix itself.
May 15th, 2003, 05:14 AM

Count me in as an Aix lover. Wonderful fountains - a beautiful market (as been around for hundreds of years)... I didn't find quite the same amount of charm in Avignon....
May 30th, 2003, 02:12 AM

Another vote for Aix (much more to do and see and eat). Since I live here I can tell you that the Cours Mirabeau construction is completed and that makes a huge difference in enjoying the ville.
May 30th, 2003, 04:42 AM
sandi

Surfer1 - Where will you be coming from or going to that your choices for 1-day are Aix or Avignon, considering these towns are about 65-75 miles from one another.

Both have their charm - Aix is a college town with lovely walking streets, lots of restaurants and some wonderful sites - we loved the city for the 2-days we spent there.

Did Avignon and the Pont du Gard as a day-trip from St. Remy (our base) - sure the Palais de Papes is a must-see, there are lovely streets and restaurants, but to get to the Pont du Gard (another must see) you'll need a car or get a bus tour to take you there (about 20 miles West of Avignon).

Each have their charm and sights - but where will you be going to/coming from that these are your choices considering each are at different ends of Provence?

Jun 9th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Where did you stay in St. Remy?

Best regards,
Sandy