One base or two for Middle Rhein?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2023, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the excellent advice I've gotten here in the past! I find I have a new question, and am hoping for insights. My spouse and I will be traveling to the Rhein region in Germany next June. We'll start in Bonn and work our way (via train) to Mainz.

Excluding Mainz, we've got about 6 days to spend in the Middle Rhein. The two options currently under discussion are:

-Spend all 6 days in Boppard, using it as a base
-Break up the time, 3 days Boppard / 3 days Bacharach

I've actually stayed in Bacharach before, but it was many years ago as a broke student. Part of the draw of Bacharach might be nostalgia, but also, we're hoping our visit might coincide with the Weinblütenfest.

Is Bacharach "too touristy"? I'm also concerned it will be less convenient for getting around to other locations in the area?

If anyone has any recent experience in this region, all advice is appreciated!
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 11:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
given how close the two are and the excellent public transport in the region I'd just stay in one place and base in Boppard. Do your dates coincide with a wine festival?
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bilboburgler, thanks for the feedback! I believe our dates overlap with the Weinblütenfest in Bacharach, based upon when it's been held in the past. Sticking with one location would simplify things and save the time needed to switch hotels. Have you found it pretty easy to hop between the towns that are a bit more distant (w/o a car)? The last time I was in the area, I only visited Bacharach.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 11:35 PM

I know the Mosel better than the Rhine, but we have holidayed in the Rhine valley as well. Don't forget you have the boats as well as the trains to get about on. Then there are buses. All of these normally have linked electronic messaging so your stop (especially in town) gives you actual updates, or there are APPs that will do the same. I have also rented bicycles to get to the odd special space riding on very safe bike paths. I can imagine no reason for needing a car in this area unless you are disabled or need to ship massive amounts of wine about.
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 12:17 AM

The really touristy town on the Rhine is Rüdesheim am Rhein - many tour boats start from there. However I wouldn't take that as a reason not to visit. There are a lot of attractions starting from that town (a wine tasting centre, a cable car, cute streets lined with shops, the Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas shop, etc and the Asbach Uralt brandy distillery just over in Assmannshausen). Just know that the streets may be mobbed with emptying tourist buses and you won't be surprised by it.

Lavandula
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 01:05 AM

https://www.weinfeste-online.de/

I'm sure you know that there are wine festivals in most wine villages at least once a year and it is possible to float down the Mosel on a river of them, as it is on the Rhine. https://www.bacharach.de/freizeit/veranstaltungen if you like Bacharach then fine. If you want the big one (biggest in the world) then Durkheim is the place to be, (I used to have family there). But even little ones like Olewig near Trier are worth it.
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 03:30 PM

Either will be o.k. In my case I stay in Bacharach - 6 days this year. I guess Bacharach gets tourists but I have rarely seen any
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lavandula and bilbo, for the suggestions! We'll look into them this weekend.
Bigtyke, do you have a favorite hotel in Bacharach?