Middle Rhein "Must See" castles

Feb 12th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Middle Rhein "Must See" castles

We will be staying in Bacharach for 3 nights in late May and were wondering what your "MUST SEE" castle recommendations might be.

We're already planning a trip to Cochem and Burg Eltz (all by train).

Thanks in advance for your help.

MvK
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:29 AM

this website has a lot of interesting info. i have been researching the same area.

www.roadstoruins.com

where are you staying in bacharach, may i ask?

so many places are closed next week when i go.
Feb 12th, 2007, 02:12 AM

Hi Mark,

first of all, the usual link: http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.d...php?id=318&L=3 - there is no better source of info.

I'd absolutely recommend Marksburg near Braubach - the only castle that has never been destroyed and thus gives an authentic impression what a medieval castle was like. It's a museum.

Check out if the Pfalz at Kaub reopens this year. That's the one on an island in the middle of the river. It was under construction for a long time but I noticed last week that the scaffolding is gone, so there is hope. If yes, they'll have guided tours by boat from Kaub. I did that years ago and loved it.
Feb 12th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

lincasanova,

http://www.hotel-pension-dettmar.de

Not far from the bahnhof but sufficiently distant from the tracks (I hope) and reasonably priced.

If you stay there, let me know your impression upon your return.

MvK
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM

i might have already written them. so many places are closed. i have written again and will let you know if we decide to stay there or at huge discount at bellevue, (although much bigger).

it looks really nice, and thank you.

will try to stop anyway, no matter what!
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

lincasanova,

http://www.554-male.rheinhotel.biz/germany/index.html

was my first choice but they were on holiday or away until the end of Janurary so, being the impatient chap that I am, sought other accomodations. Both offer very reasonable rates. The Pension Dettmar had an attractive 3 night offer including a boat trip.

Don't know what your plans are but that caught my eye! I counter-offered, they accepted and I'm there May 21st!

MvK
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Must-see Castles:

Burg Eltz

Marksburg

Reichsburg in Cochem (mostly for the view and the falconry show - interior is relatively pedestrian but still interesting.)

Runners-up:

Rheinfels, St. Goar (good museum, otherwise mostly rubble)

Rheinstein near Bingen (quick and easy, nice view)

Burg Arras near Alf on the Mosel (nice hike, quickie tour)
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:32 AM

A little off point, but we stayed at the Rhein Hotel in Bacharach last May and really enjoyed it. The owners were very nice and accommodating. They also had a very good restaurant. I believe we paid around 80E for our room.

If you have time and the weather is good, drive up to Boppard and take the Sesselbahn (chairlift) up to the top. The views from up there are amazing.

You can see our pictures at webshots.com under the Germany & Switzerland album (search for dkubiak).
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM

The hike from the train station to Burg Eltz is just great. It probably takes just over an hour. A good chunk of the time is spent trying to find your way out of the little town where the train stops, but once you get to the trailhead it is a very pleasant walk. We went early on a Sunday and didn't see a soul until we got to the castle, it was magical.
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Oh, I don't know if you are planning on doing Burg Eltz and Cochem in the same day, but if you are, consider taking the boat between the two if it is a nice day.
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Muffin!

We're going to try and get to Cochem the first afternoon we're in Bacharach, save Burg Eltz for day 2 or 3, weather will be the deciding factor. I didn't want to rush the Burg Eltz trip in any way.

Marksburg and Rheinfels look like the "must-see" places we'll be must-seeing. Thanks, Russ.

MvK
Feb 15th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Feb 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Schloss Burg is a great castle that never seems to get any notice here. We were there in winter and absolutely loved it. Nice little town, with a chairlift for getting from the base to the top (or vice versa).

http://www.schlossburg.de/index.php?id=4
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

BTilke,

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion. We have friends (former short-term exchange students) from Wermelskirchen and this would give us a great opportunity to see them again.

MvK
Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM

markvonkramer: while looking for a place to stay in closed up bacharach.. we drove past the darkened pension dettmar. the rhein hotel was also closed.

it is not far from the tracks, and on a main street in town where you will just walk a block or so past shops to the "center".

after checking out a couple places..we ended up at winzerhaus..this is a freestanding "house" with a cute wine barreled sitting area on ground level outside.

it turns out it is a r. steve´s favorite.. nice, nice young woman and husband running it. simple but clean accomodations on the hill up to stahleck castle. several other places are nearby also.

we had a car.. so the hill was no problem .

Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

lincasanova,

Thanks for the info. I hope they have "lit" the Pension Dettmar by May 21st.

Maybe I should bring a flashlight and firewood? Just kidding, already booked there. If it sux, I'm sure my alternate choice will be available, but if not, I'm in Germany so little else matters! We move on to the BO afterwards so that'll take away some of the battering I'm sure to receive if PD is a poor choice.

MvK

Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:46 PM

i really think it will be fine and is in an easy access place, especially if you have no car.

we looked at many places on this trip before deciding and they were all clean.. some people just have better taste with the eiderdown coverlet, the furniture, or basic decoration, but they were all acceptable.

have a great time.
Mar 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM

bookmarking
May 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM

bookmarking