Once in a lifetime trip!

Search

Once in a lifetime trip!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once in a lifetime trip!

I'm planning on a trip to Italy for 10 days...

Day 1: arrive in Rome 12pm visit the spanish steps and have nice dinner
Day 2: Ancient Rome
Day 3: Pantheon/Sistine Chapel/St Peters leave for Naples
Day 4: Take a day trip to Pompei
leave for Pisa
Day 5, 6, and 7 visit Tuscuny and stay with friends. On end of day 7 leave for Venice.
Day 8 and 9: Venice
Day 10 leave for home

Looking for a nice hotel ($150-$200)in Rome around the spanish steps/Trevi fountain?
Are we missing anything important in Rome?
Looking for a nice hotel in Naples Close to train station if possible?
Anyone know of a good tour to Pompei/mt Vesuvius?
If we did a day trip to San Gimignano/Siena does anyone know of a good winery to visit?
We are planning on taking the trains from Rome to Naples, Naples to Pisa, and then Pisa to Venice. Will it be safe to do the traveling at night?
Any good hotels near San Marco's square or on the grand canel?
If you had a choice would you do Lucca or Florence (not really into art museum)?
Nice place to eat in Venice?

Thanks for all your help!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Too litle time in Rome - drop Naples.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
mjs

I agree, drop Naples.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:45 AM

We stayed a few steps from the Via Veneto in the Hotel Caprice. www.hotelcaprice.it [email protected]
This is an affordable hotel located among the very expensive hotels in the Via Veneto. The hotel is clean, air conditioned, quiet, they have good breakfasts, the staff was helpful and within walking distance to the Trevi and the Spanish Steps. The staff arranged our tour to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri (We stayed two nights with the tour).

I would strongly recommend getting up very early to see the Vatican. We arrived by 7 am and the place was empty. We walked up to the top of the dome with no crowds. What a view of Rome in the morning! It was also a great experience climbing inside that dome! Or you could opt to see the Sistine Chapel at that time.

We have stayed at the Hotel Giorgione in Venice two times now. We are going back this summer. It is located near the Rialto Bridge, but is not near San Marco. We like it there because it is a quiet neighborhood and the restaurant is wonderful that is next door to it. I prefer staying away from the crowds near San Marco. Check out www.hotelgiorgione.it

I hope you have a grat trip to Italy!
Phylly
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Yes drop Naples or do daytrip from Rome to Pompeii.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:44 AM

And I meant to add that a hotel in Venice on the Grand Canal is Hotel Galleria where we stayed last year. It's small, charming and breakfast is included served in your room. We paid 105 Euros per night. Only problem is bathroom is down the hall which I thought I would hate but turned out to be fine.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Day 4 - I don't see how you can do Pompeii and then travel all the way to Pisa. Not sure why you are going to Pisa at all since you are staying in Tuscany. I would suggest you do a day trip to Pompeii on Day 4, returning to Rome for that night. Then on day 5 head for your destination in Tuscany. I don't see any reason to stay in Naples or go through Pisa.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help... I will skip naples and do a day trip out of Rome to Pampei.... I will also make sure to do the Vatican early in the morning. As for staying in Pisa... my friends have a house there... So I have a free place to stay while visiting the Tuscany Region...

Thanks!

Any other comments would be great...
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:24 PM

...and by the way, Pisa is one of the highlights not only of Tuscany but of the world - how can anyone suggest to skip Pisa?????? Skip Florence first before you skip Pisa!!!
Not a small problem in your itinerary, however, is that you have not enough time for Venice - if you are really meaning that you are going there just once in a lifetime, you should spend the whole 10 days there - 10 days in Venice is the minimum for a lifetime! All my visits to Venice summed up, I've spent there about six months, and I'm still detecting new wonders every day when being in that wonderful town...