Rome - Things to do/location to stay.

Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome - Things to do/location to stay.

Back for more advise on my trip planning.

Looking to spend 5 days in Rome.
1st time visit, so I am a blank slate Open for suggestions and advice.

Want to see the major sites:...Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Spanish Steps, etc. But what should we see that is not in the "main Stream".

Also thinking about a day trip to Pompeii.

When reviewing the multitude of things to do in Rome, and I am confused on the best area to look for lodging. HELP!

Have loved all your advise so far.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:03 AM

Where to stay? In the Centro Storico (historic center)...near the Pantheon, or Piazza Navona or Spanish Steps (if you can afford it) Where not to stay, in my opinion: anywhere near the train station. This is a less expensive area for a reason.

What to see? In addition to the above, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Venezia, Roman Forum and Colosseum, Piazza del Campidoglio, the Via Veneto, Villa Borghese. For a first timer, I highly recommend finding an orientation / narrated bus tour that lasts a couple of hours. I'm out of date as to what companies offer this.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:18 AM

Just returned from Rome on Saturday; I was there for a week. I stayed in the Trevi Fountain area at the Hotel Della Nazioni on Poli Street. The location was great for touring the historic areas - about 1/2 block from the Trevi and a 5 minute walk from the Trevi to the Pantheon, about a 10 - 15 minute walk to the Colosseum/Forum, and a 10 minute walk to the Spanish Steps. It is a good central location if you are going to be in Rome for only a few days. Also took a day trip to Pompeii - catch the subway to the train station in Rome; take a train to Naples; the trip takes approx. 2 hours. Upon arriving in Naples, I recall going to the lower level of the station to catch the local train from Naples to Pompeii - it takes another 30 minutes to Pompeii. As soon as you exit the train station in Pompeii, the entrance to the excavation is only a block away. Buy your tickets at the entrance to site, not along the street. For your trip back, take the local train back to Naples and then hop a train for Rome. From the train station, take the subway back to the Spanish Steps and you're only a 10 minute walk back to the hotel. It's a long day due to the train travel involved, but it is well worth the trip. Also, there is only one retaurant in the 'park' area you'll be walking through in Pompeii. We packed lunches and didn't have to worry about finding a restaurant once we were there. You'll want to have time to explore the ruins and not have to waste time locating a restaurant. For something not "main stream", consider taking the Scavi Tour at the Vatican. It was really interesting. Sign up on line before you go (they only allow 200 per day to tour the excavation under St. Peter's Basilica.) In addition to seeing various excavated tombs under the Basilica, you'll see the actual burial site of St. Peter. Have a good time.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM

With only 5 days I would substitute Ostia Antica for Pompeii.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM

As to day trip to Pompeii, I'd rather take a guided bus tour than all those trains.....

Another nice day trip from Rome is Tivoli / Villa d'Este.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:07 PM

With only five days, I would stay put in Rome. Five days in Rome is like one day in Istanbul, or two hours in Paris, or three seconds most everywhere else.
No doubt that the Scavi Tour is interesting, but who said it's "not main stream"? Just read this forum: almost every Rome traveler posting here does the Scavi Tour!!
And who said that the Spanish Steps are a "major sight"? It's joyful (and enjoyable) baroque kitsch, no more and no less than that.
Determining which of the (incredible number of) major sights in Rome starts with reading a good guidebook (no, I'm not thinking of Rick Steves). Discard any advice that doesn't count S. Prassede, S. Maria Maggiore, S. Stefano Rotondo, S. Carlo alle Quattro Fontane, S. Andrea al Quirinale and S. Ivo among the major sights (seriously, that's an excellent test for Rome guidebooks).