Once in a Lifetime Trip

Search

Once in a Lifetime Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once in a Lifetime Trip

My husband and I are going on our once in a lifetime trip with another couple to the Amalfi Coast and I would love to hear any recommendations on what to do and see when we are there. We were thinking of staying in Positano, Capri (if we can afford it) and Sorrento. We will be there for one week. Thank you in advance!
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Consider keeping to two hotels and doing day trips to the other places you wish to visit. Actually you could do it all from one location but if you want to go to Capri, you should stay there overnight (I'd make it two nights) to get the feel of the place. There are fans of Positano, Amalfi and Sorrento here--and some other stops along the coast, so you can get multiple opinions on which town you should choose as a base. I'm partial to Positano, myself. You can take a boat from there to Amalfi, and to Capri, probably also to Sorrento though I've not done that personally. Do a search on Amalfi Coast and check a few threads to see all the pros and cons of the various places.

wherever you choose to stay, you'll have a beautiful vacation of a lifetime. You've selected well. The Amalfi coast is one of the most beautiful destinations ever. Enjoy
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
yk

What time of year will you be going?
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM

indovina

I imagine that half the people on this forum thought that their first trip to Europe was their "once in a lifetime trip". Then we all get hooked and keep going again and again. I started in 1983 and I have been 53-55 times now. So don't be surprised if you fall in love and keep going back every chance you get.

Old May 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Agree on a couple of things that will make a difference in advice. Are you goingin midsummer - when traffic along the coast is horrendous nd boat are better? Or are you going in shoulder seson?

What do you plan on doing? Will you be seeing Pompeii? The Arch Museum in Naples? Or are you looking just for small villages, relaxing, hiking etc?
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:49 AM

Hi Indo - What to see? Lots of options

Pick any from:

Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, Capri, Pompei, Ercolano, Vesuvius, Sorrento, Paestum, Naples, Ischia, Nocelle/Montepertuso, 'Path of the Gods' (- hike), Solfatara, Caserta, Cassino ...

If you're there this summer check out the Ravello Concert programme (- Villa Rufolo, Ravello) and Chamber Music Festival (- Conca dei Marini):

http://www.ravelloarts.org/concerti_a.htm

http://www.ravellotime.it/home_en.asp

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention - we will be there in early September and will be going to the Amalfi first and then Rome.

Looking forward to your recommendations especially places to stay!

GRAZIE!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Hi i,

Did you ever go to Rome like you posted in July,06?
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

yes, i did and it was a wonderful trip. check out my review for my july 06 trip!
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM

I think what Mike was getting at is, if you went to Rome in 2006, then how can this one be a Once in a Lifetime Trip?
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:03 AM
ira

Hi I,

See the AC part of my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Enjoy your visit

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

the couple we are going with have never been to italy and we have been calling this trip our once in a lifetime trip. This time we are traveling with friends and want to make sure we are good tour guides!

thank you for all your suggestions!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM

I am working on a trip report, as I just returned from Venice and Amalfi for my honeymoon in May, 2008.

Amalfi (the entire coast) is absolutely unbelievable.

We actually stayed in the town of Amalfi (a 5 minute walk from the main town) at Hotel Santa Caterina. The hotel is expensive (if we weren't on our honeymoon, we couldn't have ever done it), but absolutely stunning. The views are impeccable (as was the service), and it was in a perfect location for us to visit other places, like Ravello and Positano.

From what I have gathered in my trip research, many people seem to prefer Positano to Amalfi. My husband and I are the total opposite - we found Amalfi much more authentic, and much less overrun by tourists.

The city itself is tiny, which makes it a really intimate place to visit. Whether you stay there or not, it's worth spending a day in Amalfi and walking up the many steps to see where residents live, and to get a feel for the area.

Having said that, wherever you stay in Amalfi will be incredible --one highlight for us was going to Ravello around dusk and visiting Villa Cimbrone... beautiful!!!

Good luck! Let us know what you end up planning!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM

Thanks for posting. I visited the Santa Caterina when we were there in early May and look forward to your report. I, too, much prefer Amalfi to Positano. I am interested in your take on the location of the Santa Caterina..did you eat your meals in Amalfi and if so, did you mind the walk to town from the hotel, along the main road?

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM

<i>From what I have gathered in my trip research, many people seem to prefer Positano to Amalfi. My husband and I are the total opposite - we found Amalfi much more authentic, and much less overrun by tourists.</i>

That's funny b/c I found Amalfi far more &quot;overrun with tourists&quot;! Heh.

I think that people appreciate the town they're staying in because they see it early in the morning and in the evening when all the &quot;tourists&quot; have left.

Positano can get very crowded in the middle of the day with all the daytrippers crowding the steps, but it's magic in the morning and at night. As I'm sure Amalfi is, too (and Capri -- talk about crowded during the day!). All of these places are gorgeous if you can figure out how to visit them when the &quot;tourists&quot; aren't around.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM

I can count on one hand the posters here who said that they preferred Amalfi to Positano!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM

If you are planning many side trips by train, I'd suggest staying in Sorrento. It took almost 2 hours to get from Sorrento to Amalfi (by city bus) the day we went.
If you are going for relaxation (and don't mind lots of stairs), I'd say Positano.
For a nice town with more to do, then choose Amalfi or Capri.
Just one opinion!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM

Eks - We absolutely LOVED our location at Santa Caterina.

It's secluded in that you aren't in the main town - and can literally sit at the pool inches away from the ocean, and not see a soul (except other guests at the pool, and people on boats!) - but it's also close enough to enjoy Amalfi (and take the bus to Ravello, etc.)

The walk to Amalfi wasn't my favorite, by any means -- During the day, it's OK (it's about 5-10 minute walk into town, walking on the side of the road (it's not dangerous but you do have to be careful), and you have to take some stairs down at the end of the path).

DO NOT attempt it at night. If you stay at Santa Caterina, you can take a taxi into town after 4 or so (they have shuttle service during the day for free) - after the shuttle stops running, a taxi is about 10 euros back and forth from the hotel.

We ate dinner a few nights in Amalfi, which we loved doing. We also ate one night in Ravello and one night at the hotel (food excellent, but expensive).

Our favorite experience was having dinner about 5 minutes from the hotel at a restaurant called Da Ciccio - we told the front desk we wanted a nearby, local restaurant where we preferably didn't need to take a taxi to. The hotel suggested Da Ciccio, as the owner would be happy to pick us up, take us to the restaurant, and drive us home when we were done. The owner was so gracious to do it, and it was such a neat experience. And the food! It was definitely our best meal in Italy. The restaurant really was a family run, local joint - and we were so lucky to have found it.

We tried to avoid meals at the hotel, since it was so expensive, though we did have lunch there once when we hung out by the pool - if you're careful, you can eat at the more casual restaurant during the day and not have too expensive of a meal.

If I can provide you with any more information, let me know - we absolutely adored the hotel, and were so glad we chose to stay Amalfi.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM

Thanks very much! We spent 5 days in Amalfi in early May and hope to return! We did take the walk to the SC during the day and it seemed to be a bit far, but the hotel looked lovely! I am looking forward to your report and also will make note of Da Ciccio!

I will bring up my report so you can read and compare notes!! (Our hotel was charming but nothing like the Santa Caterina!)
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM

If you have a car, why not to stay in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, rather than Positano or Sorrento, and then, anyway, two nights in Capri ?!!?
To stay in Sant'Agata (and to have a car) enables you in the morning to decide: left or right ? Meaning Penisola Sorrentina or Amalfi Coast and, in the branch of Penisola Sorrentina, enables you to visit its less well known part, Massa Lubrense and its small hamlets (by the way, Sant'Agata is one of the hamlets of Massa Lubrense).
You will discover so Termini, Casa, Punta Campanella, Schiazzano and you will enjoy these little villages and the gorgeous views.
The period is very good for this my suggestion.
A good place to stay in Sant'Agata is the D&amp;B DON ALFONSO, just renewed and, if possible, even more elegant and charming.
Alfonso is beginning to leave the leadership of the cooking to his son Ernesto and, IMO, no regret, meaning that also Ernesto is very clever anf his passion is very high.
Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo