Olympic in May risky?

Dec 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Olympic in May risky?

I'm looking at a great fare to ATH from SFO and then back to Richmond VA, leaving mid May, returning mid June... the catch is the connecting flight in JFK, both ways, is on Olympic.

Does anyone know of Olympic's status right now? Would buying this tix be a not so smart move, considering that they are going to be in flux? (the ticket is only $1000, hard to beat!!)

I am flying Olympic in a few weeks, but domestically in Greece, where service this time of year is tentative at best... but I've never had a prob. with them. Just wondering about this ticket...

thanks so much for any knowledge or opinion!
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I don't think anyone can tell you one way or the other with any certainty.
Dec 10th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Nobody can tell you with certainty, but... I can say with certainty that it is a risk.

The question you need to ask yourself is: "how much is my piece of mind worth." I don't think I would fly Olympic for anything less than (at least) $200/pp in savings.
Dec 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

thanks...
What I can say, w/ certainty, is that this fare for a multi city stop in May-June is $150 less than what I am paying for a trip in 2 weeks, rt SFO-ATH.
Maybe once the fog of my excitement over it lifts, I'll see that it's such a low fare (for that time of yr from the WEst coast) that it may point pretty obviously to Olympics' uncertain lifespan!
Any other opinions - of course there are no certainties, not what I'm asking for - cheerfully accepted.
Dec 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM

I feel the same way - we are planning (hopefully) a trip for a family of 4 in July and would save about $1000!! total on Olympic (unless the fares go down on Continental - don't understand why they're still so high given the fall in gas prices!) but my husband says it's just not worth the risk of our whole vacation hinging on their solvency
Dec 11th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Good point about solvency. I'm reminded of the UK travel company, XL Leisure and Travel Group, which earlier this year was taking reservations and money from travellers the day before they closed their doors.