Olympia Theater in Paris

Search

Olympia Theater in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olympia Theater in Paris

We just booked tickets to see Mireille Mathieu at the Olympia Theater in Paris on our upcoming trip and have a few questions about the theater.

1. We booked online with the provision of picking up our tickets at the theater -- logistically would it be better to do the pick up ahead of time rather than just before the concert?
2. Is it best to get there really early to get settled in your seats?
3. I read that seats are not numbered and everyone is ushered to their seats -- what are you expected to tip?
4. Any general impressions of the theater -- our tickets are up in the balcony.

We haven't gone to any theater performances on previous visits to Paris and are really looking forward to this.

Thanks for any info.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 08:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
1. You can get your tickets ahead of time or not. It really makes no difference. I have never seen a line of people at the ticket pick-up window.
2. Getting their early just makes you wait longer for the show. It all depends on whether you enjoy watching the other people arrive.
3. For Mireille Mathieu, you almost certainly have numbered seats, which is not the case for rock stars, etc. 1 or 2 euros is a more than adequate tip. Just imagine what these ushers are earning if everybody gives the same amount.
4. The front of the balcony is excellent and the back of the balcony less so -- but isn't that the case in every theatre in the world? One advantage of the Olympia is that it was totally rebuilt in 1997 (and isn't even in the same location in the building complex as it used to be), so there are no "terrible" seats -- those have been eliminated.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 08:35 AM

Arghhh! Getting <b>there</b> early, not <I>their</I>!
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kerouac - thanks for the info. We're not precisely sure where our seats are in the balcony as either they don't show the exact location (clicking on the seat map didn't do anything) or I just didn't figure out what to click on. We probably are not at the front of the balcony since we bought the cheapest tickets, but we expect it will be enjoyable nonetheless.

I expect the bathroom situation is much like other older theaters -- long lines for the ladies -- so don't think we'll have anything to eat or drink before the performance. Anyone have any suggestions for a place to eat afterwards -- in the range of 40-60 euros for 2 (for food only) nearby?
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 03:30 AM

I have never been to a restroom at the Olympia, but at least it is no longer an "older" theatre since it was built in 1997. Basically, the entire building was torn down except for the historic façade and totally rebuilt. However, even in modern places, women are always at a disadvantage.

You could go to Chez Clément a couple of blocks away just before Place de l'Opéra for a reasonable meal.