Search

Old Bailey

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:51 AM
sonya

Old Bailey

Where do I find the Old Bailey and do you have to be there early to get a seat usually?<BR>Thanks

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Sara

The Old Bailey is in Old Bailey EC4, the nearest tube is St Pauls or Blackfriars. Sorry can't tell you about getting a good seat.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Jane

I don't remember what time the morning session starts - we had cameras in our bags and they would not let us in. So we had to go back to our hotel and leave the cameras and got back for the 2:00 PM session. There were only a few people waiting that day so we didn't have a problem with seating, but if there were a lot of people waiting, you would want to be at the front of the line.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Rosemarie the Righteous

We had so enjoyed the British TV show "Rumpole of the Bailey" and Hitchcock's "Witness for the Prosecution" that we really wanted to see the Old Bailey. I don't remember there being any problem with seating...this was in May a few years ago. It was very interesting and I'm glad that we did it. Didn't see Rumpole though.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Howard

I can't recall the specifics of getting into Old Bailey. But, I can recall that it was definitely one of the high points of my two trips to London many years ago!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:29 PM
mpprh

hi<BR><BR>If you miss the Old Bailey seats, you can climb to the top of the St Pauls Cathedral dome, and look out at London or down into the cathedral.<BR><BR>It is next door.<BR><BR>Peter

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:50 PM
sonya

Wow! You guys are fast and very helpful.<BR>Thanks so much!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Frances

Crown Courts generally start at 10.30 am as far as I am aware.Why not call in about 4p.m. the day before and ask what time they are sitting the next day? You may also be able to find out whether there is anything particularly interesting on .

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Patrick Wallace

just a bit of amplification. The Old Bailey is the Central Criminal Court, which takes major cases - the sensational murders and so on. Crown Courts are district courts, of which there are several in London, taking less serious cases. There are also rather more magistrates' courts, where the magistrates will mostly be lay people deciding much less serious cases (driving, drunkenness, petty thefts nad vandalism) without a jury