Reload this Page >

Madonna and Gwyneth

Search

Madonna and Gwyneth

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:44 PM
MillyMollyMandy

Madonna and Gwyneth

Has anyone been to see old Madonna and Gwyneth (Platrow) treading the boards in London yet? Don't suppose there's any chance of cheap tickets to these shows.

Old May 18th, 2002, 03:02 PM
xxx

heard madonna was stinko!

Old May 18th, 2002, 03:23 PM
yyy

To xxx: that's "old" Madonna just like MillyMollyMandy said, and yes, I heard she's stinko too. She'll soon be 44 years old. Time to hang everything up!

Old May 18th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Theater

No surprise about Madonna being stinko. She did one of David Mamet's plays on Broadway in the '80's. She was stinko in that as well.

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:54 PM
teeny

Oh my god!!!!!!!! 44 ?!!!??!??! <BR><BR>Don't be silly ... people don't live THAT long !!!!!<BR><BR>If they did, though .... ewww. That would be gross. You know ... wrinkles and stuff. Ugh!

Old May 18th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Patrick

Sadly I will be arriving in London about a week after Gwyneth closes her limited run of Proof at the Donmar. I booked tickets there for the following show and spoke with the box office manager who told me that the entire run of Proof had been sold out since almost immediately after it was announced. So no, no cheap tickets for Proof.

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:06 AM
MillyMollyMandy

Sorry Darlings... I meant old Madonna in the sense of Dear Old Madonna....God, I'm almost her age myself!!!..anyway, I've heard that Madge wasn't too bad.... according to one critic she was a little nervous (bless her!) during the first half of the play but she improved tremendously in the second act. I think the lady's got guts....

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Tracy

Tickets aren't cheap to these 2 shows - they're *impossible.* Don't even think about it - no chance.

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:27 PM
never a fan

Even after all these years and advances in sound technology Madonna still can't hold note.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:41 AM
Question

What's the name of the play that Madonna's in?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:43 AM
Tony Hughes

Whilst it's probably trendy to criticise old Madge, I'd have to be honest and say she is one of a long line of slebs (celebrities) who have decided they are multi-talented, irrespective of whether they actually are or not.<BR><BR>I read on popbitch.com that she had banned people from backstage and the wings and no one was to look at her directly - for what reason i don't know. What I do know is that she cannot act. I had the misfortune of watching Shanghai Surprise and, I think, Who's that Girl and they were as bad as you'd expect. The only thing she ever did well was Desperately Seeking Susan and that was because she was essentially playing herself, a younger version of.<BR><BR>What little respect I had for her died a couple of years ago when I saw her wearing a chain on her jeans a la many teenagers at the time. She was 42 years old.

Old May 24th, 2002, 07:56 AM
MillyMollyMandy

Hey, it was Madge's opening night proper last night and apparently the critics are being kind to her, saying that she can actually act and that she holds her own well in the play. My God, if she keeps this up the woman will turn into a right old Luvvie!!

Old May 24th, 2002, 08:52 AM
kate

I saw it on Monday night (booked tickets years ago). Massive security on the way in, loads of ticket touts hanging around outside if you fancy paying 200 quid to get in, it's the only way to get a ticket now.<BR><BR>And actually, I have to say, despite the fact it's so treny to slag Madonna off (and I'm no great fan) I was actually pleasantly surprised. The play itself is very good, and Madonna plays a very Madonna like character so that wasn't too hard for her. The only thing I'd say is that as she's not a stage actor, her vopise was a bit weak compared to the other actors.<BR><BR>But she wasn't nearly as bad as she could have been. Her reviews have been ok too.

Old May 24th, 2002, 08:55 AM
noFan

I heard that one of the people connected with the production said that Madonna had less of a range of facial expressions than the Sphinx.

Old May 24th, 2002, 09:00 AM
MillyMollyMandy

Kate - there have been reports of Madge having the stage raised by 5 feet to distance her from the audience... was this the case....? Anyway good on you for giving her the benefit of the doubt!

Old May 24th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Lindsey

Hi MMM - I was lucky enough to see Gwyneth in 'Proof', and thought she was superb. She's helped by excellent writing, and admittedly it does take about ten minutes for you to get over the 'bloody hell, it's Gwyneth Paltrow' feeling, as the Donmar Warehouse theatre is a very intimate space, but her performance was truly mesmerising. Unfortunately the run is completely sold out, though I understand there are plans for a film adaptation. The Donmar has a reputation for getting the best out of film stars when they chose to tread the boards - saw Nicole Kidman there in The Blue Room a couple of years ago and she rocked!