Oia Hotels

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oia Hotels

OK, so I know a ton of people have asked this same question, but like others, I am completely baffled about where to stay while in Oia in late September. I have read tons of posts, thank you brotherleelove and everyone, and checked reviews on Tripadvisor. Narrowed down to these hotels:
- Strogili Traditional Houses
- Rimida Traditional Guest Houses
- Filotera
- Golden Sunset Villas
- Delfini Villas
- Caldera Villas
These are all in the 200 euro range and most have a pool. Some of my confusion stems from trying to get a sense of scale of the village given the hills. Strogili and Rimida seem pretty far east, but maybe its not that far. We would like a private terrace with a view, of course, and probably a 'quieter' location for sleeping. I read one review of noisy neighbors on a terrace and from the photos I can see that many of these places could be noisy.

Finally, is it best to book directly with the hotel online? Of course Tripadvisor temps you with all these 'deal' advertisements, but I don't know if its worth the time to explore all that for these smaller hotels.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help a Santorini newbie!
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Oia is small. No location is very far from the center of the village, 20 minutes on foot, maximum.

Your choices all are good ones. Golden Sunset and Delfini don't have pools but the Delfini Cave House Suite has a private jacuzzi on the balcony.

The truth of the matter is that there's no way to insulate yourself from noisy neighbors if they choose to be so rude. Don't let that influence your choice, it's not anything you can control. If I had to pick one I'd say Caldera Villas would probably be my choice among your choices for being in the quietest location.

Regarding "trying to get a sense of scale of the village given the hills": the village is basically flat, but the hotels are at varying degrees of elevation below the main pathway, and access by steps varies from a few to a whole lot of steps. Those you've chosen are all fairly easy to reach.

I believe it's best to book directly with the hotel. It wouldn't hurt to do a price comparison between the hotel's website and a booking service's website just to see if you can get a better price, but I suspect that some of the hotels you've listed won't book through a service since they won't want to pay the commission.

I hope this helps.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BLL, I am checking availability at most of those choices. The Delfini room with the jacuzzi sounds interesting. Could you give me an idea of where these are? I did see where Strogili and Rimida are from your earlier responses (i.e., on the map in column 11). It looks like Caldera Villas is shown on that map. Are those stairs down to the water or a road? But the way to Katina's is the path to the west, correct?

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM

http://www.santorini-hotels.info/ima...ps/oia_big.jpg

Delfini is near the line separating Sections 9 and 10, 3rd row up from the bottom.

The steps leading to Caldera Villas continue down to the water's edge to Armeni Wharf.

You're right about Katina's. It's at the bottom of the other set of steps, at the far west, on Amoudi Wharf. If it were on the map Katina's would be in Section 1, bottom row.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

OK, so after 4 days I don't have a response from Caldera Villas on availability. I do have quotes from Golden Sunset, Strogili and Rimida. The cave house suite at Delfini Villas with the private jacuzzi on the terrace is also available for 170 euros/night. I'm leaning that way because in late Sept. we might not even use a pool but a jacuzzi sounds nice. The location on the eastern side of town (less walk with luggage from the bus station) is appealing.

More help anyone??? (Travelerjan: be kind to us newbies and, as BLL says, get some more roughage in your diet. Or maybe you live in the east and its the heat?)
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM

come on cindy I don't even dip my oar in, regarding oia, BLL is the master.

Yes I am from Philly, and I'm even a QUaker which may surprise many ... I guess I would not have popped off at that other request if she had not listed 12 places she wanted to see in 10 days, and then asked for feedback.

If someone posted on the USA travel forum and said I have 10 days I'm thinking of Boston, Nantucket, Block Island, Niagara Falls, Washington, Savannah, Louisville, Columbus O,and Grand Rapids, You would think they were kidding, right?
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:49 AM

If you do end up with Delfini, get out of the bus in front of the Restaurant Alkiona and Musses Studios, just after it passes by the Church of St. George which is across the road from the Laokasti Restaurant/Villas. Walk up to the pedestrian pathway on the cliff, adjacent to the Alkiona. Delfini is right there. If you go all the way to the bus square you'll be backtracking about 1/4 mile to the Delfini.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

BLL - you don't sound keen on Delfini. I know you recommended Caldera but no response??? I can't believe this part of my trip planning has got me so tangled up. I guess with what everyone says of Oia I want a good experience in the shangrila of breakfasts on the terrace and sunsets with wine!
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 09:24 AM

No, you're reading something into my words that isn't there. I think Delfini is an excellent choice. Rena is a sweetheart. If you choose Delfini you won't regret it.

Understand that almost every hotel with a caldera view faces south or southeast. Very few have both a caldera AND a sunset view. Delfini does NOT have a sunset view. Of those on your original list, only the Golden Sunset Villas has a sunset view.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM

cindyj: Strogili and Rimida are NOT that far from the heart of the village.

I stayed at the Strogili houses 2 weeks ago (which shares a fab pool with Rimida villas), and it took me 3-4 minutes (we timed it) to walk to the beginning of Oia "proper" -- where the main pedestrian path begins at Katikies. From that point, it's another 15 or 20 minutes (depending on how fast you walk and how crowded it is) to the other end of Oia, where the Kastro is located, which is "sunset central."

I don't think I'd want to stay somehwere farther away from Oia (like Volcano Villas which is further towards Fira), but Strogili definitely didn't feel too far from anything. Walking on the road is a little dicey at night because of the crazy drivers and the narrow road, but you only have to walk on the road for a very short stretch.

And trust me -- don't agonize too much over the decision. Anything in Oia with a caldera view (and decent reviews on TA which I think all of these have) is going to be fabulous. They all have pretty much the same wonderful view.

I chose Strogili over Delfini purely for the pool, and we were glad we did b/c it was pretty hot in late May, but I'm sure we would have been happy at Delfini also (along with many others).