Oia Santorini hotels for elderly

Old Oct 6th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oia Santorini hotels for elderly

Hi I'm looking to book a trip with my mom to Santorini for April 2014. She's ok with doing a few steps but not as many as some of the hotels I have seen.

I'm open to spending up to £200 a night but ideally if i can find something cheaper then that would be better. I want a nice hotel, great view/balcony, a pool would be good but it is not vital, accessibility is the main thing I need.

Oia is my preference because of the views but I'm open to other place if the hotel is nice and accessible.

Any help on suggestions would be great.
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Best accessibility: "Old Oia Houses" offers a Venetian-style house near the clock tower in Oia for €130, significantly less than your maximum, and there are no steps to reach it. A taxi can bring you to the post office, and from there to the house is just a short walk of about 50 yards. It has 2 bedrooms and 2 terraces to enjoy the views, but there's no pool. You should know that in April the pools will be too cold for swimming anyway. They're only heated by the sun and typically aren't warm until sometime in May.

http://www.santonet.gr/hotels/oiahouses
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your speedy response!
I had looked at that already but was hoping for something a little more refurbished. I'm not wanting full 5* luxury but just something a little more up-to-date with furnishings. We'll be there for a week so I just want to be somewhere comfortable where we can sit and enjoy the view too...
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 12:49 PM

Most of those properties within your price range will be furnished in that manner. It's not that the furnishings are old, that's the traditional 'look' of the hotels there. Have a look at Rimida Villas, Strogili Houses, Chelidonia Villas, Golden Sunset Villas and Olympic Villas. The problem is the steps. As you've discovered, most hotels have a lot of them.

Be sure to inquire about steps when you contact a hotel. Some have rooms nearer the top of the cliff which require less effort to reach.

In Imerovigli check Caldera's Memories and Gizis Apartments.
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM

I will throw in another place in Oia: Filotera Villa. While it also has rooms on the slope, if you can book the highest room just under the street level office hut, there are perhaps about 10 steps to the room. This place is located at the point in Oia where the car road is very close to the rim pedestrian path (where the Villa is located) and there is a cut off connecting the two. What this means is that the walk from road where taxi drops off to the hotel entrance is perhaps 30 meters. Less if the path is not filled with parked cars. Another advantage is that there is also a bus stop at the same point that taxi would stop. The pool is way at the bottom, but I presume the pool is for you.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 06:03 AM

We stayed at Oias Sunset. It is at the bottom of the steps that lead from the taxi stand and Oia bus stop. It has a pool and if you get one of the pool level rooms there would be no steps. We stayed there on 9/26/13 and we were very happy with it. We paid 100 Euros.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 06:59 PM

I don't know what their current rates are, but Anastasis Apts, in Imerovigli have no steps, a pool, beautiful caldera views and are highly regarded. We stayed there in 2006. Also in Imerovigli, the Anthonas Apts are also beautiful, but do not face the caldera.