Search

Ofoto--Your links may no longer work

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:30 PM
cmt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ofoto--Your links may no longer work

I just realized today that links for invitations to photo albums on Ofoto no longer work. Sometime within the last few days Ofoto mut have changed to Kodak Gallery. If you click on the links given in old invitations to an Ofoto album, you'll get an error message now. In order to get a usable link, you will need to send an invitation again, thereby generating a new invitation link with Kodak Gallery instead of Ofoto in the url.

Clear as mud? Just try it, and then you'll see what I mean.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
no one has said to me it didn't?
I'll snd you mine. Tell me if it works.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:55 PM
cmt
Original Poster

I just found out today. Someone couldn't get into an album using the link I'd given her. I kept telling her it must be a temporary glitch and that she should simply back out and try a few minutes later. I finally got her in by having her log into the e-mail address linked to the Ofoto account and get to it via the welcome e-mail from Ofoto. But a few hours later I tried the Ofoto invitation link she had been using (the one I'd supplied), and it didn't work for me either. I noticed that the company name on the page is no longer Ofot. If people have posted the url for invittions (ones they've sent to themselves and copied and pasted), these links will no longer work, But you can construct a new url by substituting kodakgallery for ofoto in the url of the old invitation. But since you can still get into your OWN Ofoto album it may be better to send a new invitation, which will generate a link, with the new name, which will enable others to get access to your album.

It's hard to explain this, but if you just go and check it out, it will become clear what you need to do.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Sounds like they may have done some reorganization. They closed my account awhile back as I hadn't ordered anything for a few months, or I'd test.

Ofoto was always owned by Kodak, but I guess they must have decided it was best to use their primary brand name.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 02:46 AM

That's weird that they'd close your account..I've used them for ages and have never bought anything
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:56 AM
cmt
Original Poster

I didn't know that you have to buy something as a condition for keeping an account. How long did you hve the acount? Did you get any warning e-mail that the account would be closed? Are you sure it wasn't closed becaseu you didn't log onto it or have visits for some specified period of time?
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:12 AM
ira

I tried my links this AM. They still work.

I haven't bought anything from them.

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:17 AM
sandi

cmt - Interesting. I have some Ofoto albums of friends as favorites/bookmarked, each originally stored with an Ofoto url. Just clicked on a few of them, and got in with no problem, though the link automatically changed to reflect Kodak where Ofoto appeared before. And the Kodak name is very obvious on the header of each page/photo. Just two days ago, received an email from Ofoto offering discount prices for prints. While I have an account, I have never ordered anything, uploaded my own photos, yet had no trouble logging in. In the scheme of things I have no idea what it means, but I have transparent access to those albums and my account.

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:19 AM
cmt
Original Poster

Ira, you can still get into your own accounts with your password, but if you click on someone else's old Ofoto link posted on Fodors or elsewhere, it won't work. What brought this to my attention yesterday was that someone wrote and told me that she couldn't get into an album using a link I'd posted on another forum. I got her in via the e-mail account connected to the Ofot account, and didn't notice until later that the site address had changed so my posted link no longer worked.

Just got this e-mail:

Dear Ofoto Member,

You have received this service email because it contains important information about your Ofoto account.

Ofoto has changed its name to Kodak EasyShare Gallery. In order to bring you the very best digital photography services, Ofoto is being integrated more closely into the Kodak family.

This change does not affect your albums, your sign-in name and password, or any other features of the site you use. The Kodak EasyShare Gallery service is still compatible with all digital camera brands.

When you visit www.kodakgallery.com for the first time, please keep these tips in mind:
Sign in with your email address and Ofoto password.
If you've forgotten your password, we'll help you reset it.
If you reset your password, any credit card information that was previously saved in your account will need to be re-submitted for security purposes.

Thank you,
Kodak EasyShare Gallery Customer Service
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:37 AM
cmt
Original Poster

Ira: You're not quite following this, I think. YOUR links, in your computer favorites, work, because apparently the sustem is set up to jump to the new url. But a link that someone posts on a forum (like the one my friend was unable to use yesterday) is fixed and unchanging with certain characters typed in. If you copy and paste an old link as is, e.g., one that you see on an old trip report on Fodors, and then try to open the page, or click on an old link posted on the AboutCom forum, you will get an "album not available" message. You have to try it to see what I mean. I don't think I can explain it further than that.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:44 AM
cmt
Original Poster

Correction: This problem must have been corrected, as of today. I just re-tried the links that were not working yesterday, and now they automatically take me to the Kodak Gallery version of the sign-in page. Yesterdy they just resulted in an error message. The changed must have just taken place yesterday. If someone had not written to me to say she couldn't see some pictures, I never would have been aware of the temporary problem. I think it's working now.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:45 AM

When I went to Ofoto my page didn't pop-up automatically like it had the prvious day. I had to sign in again, but after that everything was like normal.

Oddly enough, in attempting to join THIS thread, I had to sign in all over again - the first time in a year and a half. I had a lot of trouble remembering my password.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:48 AM
cmt
Original Poster

Here (WITHIN the post linked to here) is an example of an old and a new link. Right now both work, but as of late last night the old one was not working. http://forums.delphiforums.com/PBPro...s?msg=2343.220
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 05:15 AM

cmt-Both links worked ok for me, but I wanted to tell you that I think your new addition to the family is beautiful. Is there anything more charming and entertaining than a kitten?
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 05:58 AM

Hi cmt,

I'd had the account for about 2 years. Ordered twice but it had been almost a year.

I got an email, and I think it was mid 2005(?) that they were closing it for lack of purchase activity. I recall there being a thread here with a number of people saying the same. I hadn't been sharing it out much, as I have websites, and I can buy prints almost everywhere, so I just let it lapse.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 01:38 PM
cmt
Original Poster

Clifton: Maybe you have to EITHER use it a lot to post pictures and have others view them, OR make purchases.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Speak of the Devil! I got an email from Kodak Easy Share today...this is part of what they said-

"Ofoto has changed its name to Kodak EasyShare Gallery.
In order to bring you the very best digital photography services, Ofoto is being integrated more closely into the Kodak family.

This change does not affect your albums, your sign-in name and password, or any other features of the site you use.

The Kodak EasyShare Gallery service is still compatible with all digital camera brands."

I had forgotten all about this thread, I have been sharing my Ofoto album of Paris like crazy, everyone has been able to view the photos..
I have only had a couple of photos printed by them, once.
I can still access the site using my old Ofoto bookmark.
Hope this helps~
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 11:44 PM

My account got cancelled last September because I had never bought anything. So if I sign up again now, will they allow me back in as a free user?