Off-Season Venice Hotels

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off-Season Venice Hotels

My husband and I are going to Rome and Venice in November. We are trying to choose among the following 3 hotels in Venice: 1) Hotel Concordia (near San Marco); 2) Pensione Accademia (in the Dorsoduro); and Hotel Giorgione (near Cannaregio). We are looking for somewhere authentically Venetian, in a good location, with nice clean rooms and friendly staff. I am leaning towards the Accademia but my husband is worried about the "Room with a View" crowd that supposedly flocks there (think fanny packs, socks with sandals and neck pouches?). I'm worried the Concordia will be too big-city hotel and not charming. We're both concerned the Giorgione may be too quiet and it's not on a canal. We already have quotes from these places, so price is not a concern (they're all much cheaper off-season). Can anyone help with my dilemma? Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:17 PM

We stayed in accademia last march and i didn't notice room with a view crowd. I don't know if they weren't there at all or I was just too busy with so many things to do that I didn't notice them. We liked the location of the hotel and it's very accessible by water taxi or targhetto yet quiet at nights unlike the San Marco area.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 02:48 AM

I found the Canareggio to be more located with people who may actually live there (locals). I had my only good meal in that area in 3 nights.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:06 AM

We stayed at the Accademia in May. We do not own fanny packs or neck pouches and do not wear socks with sandals. I did notice one couple wearing these items but it did not affect our enjoyment of the hotel, our room with a view, or the very helpful staff. We would definitely return there.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:32 AM

We stayed in Giorgione some years ago. First of all: excellent service, excellent breakfast buffet.
Secondly: very good situation to visit the city. The Cannaregio quarter is very calm and the hotel is close to the main axis Rialto - train station Sta Lucia. Nice area to have a stroll, among the venetians.
Very good and simple restaurant with "locals" closeby: da Bepi.
I haven't tried the other hotels...
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:50 AM

LOL Julie!

Had not heard about the fanny pack reputation at the Accademia. We were in Venice for the first time last December & stayed at the Accademia. While I wouldn't call the clientele there posh, they were also not what you describe. The only time you really see other people is at breakfast or if you choose to have a drink or afternoon tea in the small bar. We had a superior double room with a water view facing the front (#22). It was a decent size with plenty of storage space & the bathroom was very nice but only a tub with a hand held shower (no regular shower). My only complaints were-there was only one window, the heated towel racks in the bathroom, which stayed on all the time, made the room a bit warm and finally, walking across the Accademia bridge to get to San Marco started getting pretty "old" after the 3rd trip of the day. Other than that walk, we found the location very convenient & really liked the Dorsudoro area. Since we were there leading up to New Years, we were glad to be away from the crowds near San Marco.

If I were going in November, I think I might choose to stay closer to San Marco (at least on the other side of the bridge). I don't know the Concordia or where it's located, but I would suggest looking at the Hotel Ala and the Do Pozzi (I think they're both owned and/or operated by the same people as the Accademia).

The room was very clean at the Accademia and the staff was pleasant & efficient (if not overly friendly).
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Look into the Antico Doge hotel.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your great input!
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:36 PM

I have not seen "Room with a View" in MANY years, but am curious as to the comparison of "fanny packed sandal with socks wearers" with the English travelers to Florence depicted in the movie and book? Thanks for clarifying--this is not a sarcastic or "troll-ish" response.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

It's not a comparison of current travelers with the ones in the movie, but the insinuation (that I got from a guidebook and did not come up with myself) that people who generally like "Room with a View" and its ilk (e.g., Merchant Ivory films) wear socks with their sandals and fanny packs. I meant no offense to anyone. I have heard nothing but good things about Accademia and we have now booked there. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:47 PM
nyc

Like a prior poster, I stayed at the Giorgione several years ago. It's in a good location, very close to the Rialto, but away from the big crowds there. The hotel has beautiful common rooms decorated with Murano chandeliers. Also, the guest rooms are pretty spacious by Venetian standards. Unlike the San Marco area where you run the risks of eating at tourist traps, there are several excellent and reasonable restaurants nearby: 1) Da Beppi (as previously noted); 2)Trattoria all Vedova; and 3) Alla Vecchia Cavanna. You will also be close to the Ca' D'Oro Vaporetto stop if you want to go anywhere that isn't a short walk away.