Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

VENICE: Recent stays Hotels Montecarlo or Wildner or Guerrato?

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
Looks like it might be one of these 3, unless someone out there knows of one close to San Marco for us.
We are going to Italy in May.
We like the location of the Wildner but no elevator. Hubby has bad knees and am just trying to make it a little bit easier on him, after walking all day.
The Montecarlo would work but it doesnt look very charming (like the Wildner does)
so iam asking for travelers who have stayed there recently to let me know what they think.

Appreciate your help, Patty
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:01 AM

While it isn't recent, I stayed at the Hotel Montecarlo 4 years ago and while I remember the place being ordinary, I think the location was very good if you want to be right near Piazza San Marco.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:05 AM

Also stayed at the Montecarlo in 2001. It was nice enough, large room with good sized bathroom and good A/C as I remember. Helpful staff as well. The restaurant next door is very good, same owner as the hotel. great location right off the square.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:03 AM

Stayed at the Guerrato in 2001. It was a great little hotel. Really helpful staff, very nice breakfast/room and very close to the Rialto market. For the price, it was a great.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:11 AM

I always stay at the Hotel Kette (right off San Marco). Lovely little hotel. But check this out - I found this hotel on this Fodor's site and everyone seems to love it. I plan on staying there in May also.

http://www.locandaorseolo.com/uk/description.htm
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM

I stay in room #16 at the Wildner....just one flight up...it's a triple...but the room next door is a double. The view is incredible!!
Elisabetta is marvelous!
Very convenient location, too!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM

Londra Hotel is great. Not sure of the prices.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Everyone,
Thank you for your help.
The Oresolo looks good on the web site.
This is a real important decision for us and i appreciate your information. We live so far away who know if we will ever get back to Venice so I want the place to be wonderful.
I like the idea of looking out at the canal from the Wildner.
Iam so excited! and its still 7 months away...
This forum is great!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:29 PM

We stayed at the Guerrato in June, a triple with private toilet/shower and air. Wonderful place just beyond the Rialto Bridge stalls. About 20 steps up to the initial landing with our room just off the reception area (quiet though). Most rooms were up another flight or two of stairs. I think if Hubby has bad knees you wouldn't want to go any higher than we were. Another disadvantage of the Guerrato would be crossing the Rialto Bridge to get to the hotel to and from San Marco. If you used the vapparato you could avoid the bridge. A great location though for radiating out in all directions. Nice breakfast and a helpful staff. Rick Steves features this hotel in his Venice video and talks with one of the owners. You are thoughtful to think of the knee problem now. I don't know if a tub is important for soaking but that might be a consideration, too.