NY - hotel hell for May 07

Jan 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

NY - hotel hell for May 07

Hi All. First time posting here... spending many many hours on the net searching my mouse arm off to find a hotel for my husband and I for a romantic but budget-savvy trip to Manhattan this spring, and this site seemed to have the most intelligent and specific advise from people who've actually stayed in hotels they recommend - what a concept! Please if you have the time, offer advise on what would work for us:
We want to spend about 10-14 days in NY, with activities like: Algonquin lecture series, the Met for a couple of full days w/lunch there then a stroll down Madison Ave., Central Park often, the Village, Soho, China Town... what we won't spend time doing: Empire State Building tour, Statue of Lib tour, theater, or Macys/Bloomingdales. I was foolishly hoping that I could find a hotel room (or Bed Breakfast that still allows for a sense of privacy) that is either attractively sleek or old world. What I am afraid I will have to settle on is floral bedspreads, drab little spaces with no appeal. I know... I want too much! Its just that this is his first trip there, and I wanted to find something with a little style. Can anyone recommend a search site or specific hotel options? Several of the search sites like hotel.com have many good looking options, until I type in my dates, then a 200 dollar room suddenly becomes a 495 room. We're able to travel more weekdays than weekends, since rooms are cheaper on weekdays, and want to find a room for under 240ish tax included. Also, some hotels tell me tax is 18 percent, others under 14. ?? I am so dazed from searching... HELP?!
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:41 AM
ira

Hi M,

You want to post on the US, not the Europe forum.

For a lot less, you could go to France or Italy.

Jan 8th, 2007, 07:47 AM

This is the wrong place on Fodors, but if you go and post on Frommers in the North America/US/New York section, you will have the benefit of Pauline Frommer's NYC savvy, and other New Yorkers who can advise you better than most.
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

OH!!!!! In my haste... many thanks, and YES,I agree... we were married in Firenze in '94. I adore my memories of many trips to France and Italy, and will travel there, hopefully, in another year or so. Warmest US regards to our lovely contries... -R
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Madeleine, I think you also have a false assumption => that weekdays are less expensive than weekends. Many nicer hotels in NY cater to clients traveling on business -- and offer *great* weekend rates.
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Believe me, you won't have to settle for floral bedspreads and drab little rooms and the cost may be less than you think.
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Hi there... If you want nicer but budget-minded accommodations, you might consider Jersey City. You'll be able to catch the PATH train right into Manhattan. For instance, check out the Candlewood Suites for $240 per night.
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM
MaureenB

Try the Affinia group of hotels in New York. They get good reviews across the board. Our only personal experience was this past May, in a two-bedroom suite at the Affinia Gardens, on the Upper East side. It was very nice and the service was impeccable. Good value price, too.
>-

Jan 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM

If you want a real neighborhood experience...check out the Gracie Inn on East 81st. (80th St.??) Anyhow... it's near the cross town 79th st. bus...which will take you to anyplace you might want to go (with connections etc.) Additionally, you'd be near the East River and Parks etc. I've checked it out for friends awhile back, and tho not luxurious, it might fit the bill.
Good luck!