Veteran Fodorites

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Veteran Fodorites

I am a new poster and have noticed a paucity of postings on France as compared to Italy. Since France is the most visited country in the world I am curious if this was the case before the present French/American hair pulling, or are there other reasons?
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:16 AM

I'll hazard an answer from my 6 years here. It comes and goes in waves. Wow! That was perceptive right?

We were "doing" France a few weeks ago -- now Italy seems to be at the forefront. I suppose there are reasons having to do with planning cycles, articles in other media etc...

One "local" reason, I think, is when there is a good travel report posted that starts people thinking -- hmmm ... Italy .... As for "the France issue" -- forum posters haven't been shy
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:24 AM
ira

Hi laidback,

It's also true on the Frommer's Community board.

I think that it is because more people are learning about Italy.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:25 AM

As Sally said, it is, in part, just a normal fluctuation of interest in France.
However, in general, I'd say that Italy is the favorite country on the forum and thus would receive more attention.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:29 AM

I am a new poster, but have "lurked" the forum for about a year. Things do seem to move in cycles, but ....

I was very surprised that it took so long to get a recent "100 best things to do in rome" thread completed. A similiar one on Paris seemed to generate much more excitement and passion and also went faster.

Maybe all the "Rome Pros" were on vacation? Or are people just not as interested in rome as Paris? Really don't know, but it seems that way.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Let them all go to Italy. I've a 2 star hotel in Paris' 9th booked for December at 60euro a night, breakfast included.

I agree with you hansikday. In the last few years I've seen a few "Love Italy, hate Rome" threads. I don't recall ever seeing a "Love France, hate Paris" thread.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 06:00 AM

probably the most talked about destinations are France, Italy, the UK, and Ireland. There was a neat Swiss thread a couple of months ago, and you'll also see some on Belgium and Holland(usually Amsterdam), from time to time. We're sort of thinking about one of those river cruises on the Rhine next year...but waiting for our life at home to calm down before we really start planning. (It's been a very hectic year.) Normally we'd be pretty much decided on a May trip by this time.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Degas

No offense intended, but here goes:

I also get the feeling that Paris seems to bring out more posters and also folks who know or want to know more about the city than just the typical or major attractions. More info seems to be passed on litte or off-the-beaten-track places that a return visitor would enjoy - the "hidden" jewels of the city.

I'll say right off that I love Rome, but it does seem to draw a lot of negative fire for being too "intense" or "dirty" or "traffic-clogged". And it also seems like many posters only comment about the major attractions.

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Italy is hot and has been for several years. I have been here 7 years and it has always had the most posts. It is not about Rome/Paris--it is about the universal appeal of Italy to many potential travelers and the diverse destinations in Italy.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:18 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
On the other hand, just go looking for in-depth discussions about Scandinavia. You'll be finished quickly.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:21 AM

Well, Bob, my boy, I WAS talking about Paris and Rome so to ME that was what it was all about.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:30 AM
vivaldi

Rome does not seem as popular as Paris. The facts may not bear that out, but that is the impression I've gotten. And the info posted on the forum does seem to be more in-depth about Paris. Paris just seems to draw out more passion in posters.

It also seems that many on the forum want to "skip" over or briefly through Rome on the way north.

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Bob,

You answered part of my question(Italy has always had the most posts), but why?...I love and travel to both countries from top to bottom, and see greatness in both; but undeniably, France is the country most visited world wide, and in the short time I have been visiting Fodors, the posts are about 10 to 1 Italy to France. This is why I wondered if Fodors always had this slant or has it been since the recent U.S./France squabbles.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Not necessarily a veteran fodorite and don't want to start a flame war of Italy vs. France...but think about it. Why is it Italy discussed more here than France? For one, Italy has 3 major touristed cities (Florence, Rome, Venice) compared to France's 1 (Paris). Two, generally there are more concerns, worries by Americans (eg theft, transportation) re Italy than France.

But personally for me, and this sort of vague and controversial, but I believe it's the immense variety that Italy provides over other European countries. And that's what translates to the variety and number of posts you'll find on Fodors.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 09:54 AM
RAR

London and Paris are the top two big city destinations in Europe, easily. Rome maybe being number 3. As far as Italy vs France, Italy simply has more to see. Europeans visit Italy more than any other country in Europe as well.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 10:02 AM
ed

At the moment on Frommers France 365, Italy 548.

We were in France in May and are leaving for Italy tomorrow.

It may be that Italy is less well known by the occasional travelers than France
So there are more questions.

By the way, uho busted The Rhine River trips are great.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 10:19 AM
rex

My observation from four years' experience here is that the complaints come in cycles about "too much" Italy AND too much France - - at the expense of the dozens of other countries in Europe.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Italy is a jewel, so much to see, to explore, the Amalfi coast, the Alps , the riviera, Cinque Terre; and even the little villages have something specials or rustics about them. France is also a beautiful country, but does not have the over all charm that Italy has.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM

It seems to me that Italy has always been dominant on this forum--certainly not just since 9/11. Many people who post here are looking for advice on a pending INDEPENDENT trip and then disappear until their next trip. And, Italy is a hot destination--which I clearly understand.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 12:41 PM

France is pretty easy to get around and not as "scary" for tourists, as there are far fewer reports of petty crimes and many tourists ahve a passable knowledge of French. Logistics play a part as well. A visit to Italy requires visits to many cities where trains might not run on time, you need to pack in so many essential sights into only a few days, and until recently Italina money (lira) was its own confusing subject. People just don't need to post as many questions about France, because the asnwers are easier to find.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information