COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

France or Italy cheaper this year?

Old May 4th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Stewart Garcia

France or Italy cheaper this year?

Want to tour France and Italy. Which is cheaper this year or is there no difference?
Thank you
Stewart Garcia

Old May 4th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Dolores De Mayo

I went to Europe and Eastern Europe for 6 & 1/2 months. Spent 2 months in Italy alone. It was wonderful. I kept a journal with weekly budgets,how to get a car, where to stay cheaply, etc. I had it published and called it A JOURNEY FOR THREE SEASONS. It's invaluable if you want to travel without a tour. It's also funny. You can get it at Amazon.com, or just write to me.

Old May 4th, 2002, 12:24 PM
mario

Hey Dolores..
Pack you tent and leave.. this is not an advertising discution panel !!!
You are not helping.. but frustrating instead !

Old May 4th, 2002, 01:22 PM
pam

Dolores, we'd love to hear some of your stories but pleeeze...no advertising on fodor's.
Thank You

Old May 4th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Risha

Dear Stewart: I have found them both to be about the same for the same level of service, food, hotel and gas. Neither of them is any bargain. However, they're both gorgeous.

If you want to spend less, you need to go further east. However, most former Communist countries still think of Westerners as being very rich, and will often have a "local price" and a "tourist price" for some things.

Whatever you decide, enjoy. When all is said and done, all we've got is our memories.

Old May 4th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Wayne

Stewart---
It's not the country that is going to be a lot different; it's the cities. If you stay out of the major cities, there is little if any difference between Italy and France. So you really need to decide whether places like Paris, Venice, and Rome are on your agenda. Whichever country has more of the big cities you want to visit will be the most expensive country. For every smaller town or village in one of the countries, you can find one in the other country that has the same level of cost.