NW Ireland Itinerary help

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NW Ireland Itinerary help

I am having a hard time deciding where to go - there are so many places!
We're spending a week at a self-catering place in Kenmare. We'll visit the Skelligs, the Dingle Peninsula, W.Cork, etc. Then a week in Donegal. Is this a good plan? If so, what recommendations do you have for favorite places and accomodations in Donegal?
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 02:27 PM
cod

A week in Donegal is always a good idea. Stay the first few days in the south of the county, and see Killybegs, and Glenveagh. Then tour up to the Inishowen Peninsula, so you can see Malin Head (the most northerly point in Ireland). Stay in Rossaor House in Ballyliffen (a lovely B&B) and you will be able to tour all of Inishowen, and a lot of Northern Ireland as well. For instance, Giant's Causeway is only about 1 and a half hours away, especially if you take the ferry from Greencastle. Even Belfast is only 2 hrs. away. Thoughnthere is enough in Inishowen to keep you occupied for several days. Enjoy your trip.

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 02:39 PM

A week in Kenmare and a week in Donegal is a great plan.

In Donegal, take a look at Ocean View B&B near Killybegs. It's in such a fantastic location that you'll never want to go inside your room. I've also stayed at Island View B&B on the edge of Donegal Town and that was very nice.

My favorite Donegal places: the beach at Rossnowlagh, Slieve League cliffs, Glencolumbkille, the Glengesh Pass, Donegal Town & Donegal Castle, the entire coastline, Aranmore Island, Glenveagh Natl. Park, the Fanad and Inishowen peninsulas, and any small pub in any little town.

I think there's something different about Donegal when compared to the rest of the country. Not nearly as many tourists get up there, for one thing, but those that do are usually glad they made the trip.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mary & cod,
This is our first trip to Ireland and I can hardly wait! We're now thinking of staying in a self-catering house in Donegal as well: probably in Mount Charles (ocean view and a fireplace in the bedroom!)

Based on cod's recommendation I think we will spend a night away from there in Inishowen. It sounds lovely. And I do hope to go to ALL the places Mary lists. Our goal is to go on nice hikes, be charmed by the countryside and pubs, and relax.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Mountcharles would be a great place to base yourself for a week. Be sure to run down to Rossnowlagh one day and have lunch at Smuggler's Creek.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Mountcharles does sound like a nice place to stay. Be aware that the drive from Kenmare to there is almost 300 miles and even Michelin lists it at about 7 hours of driving, so count on 8-9. There is, of course, much to see in between and you will be sorely tempted to stop. One could easily spend a week driving from one to the other. The good news is that, once out of Killarney, the roads are pretty good by Irish standards. Also, you'll probably hit a bit less traffic in the towns and villages since you will be traveling on a Saturday.

Bill
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM

I would suggest Doolin. The impromptu amateur folk music shows area delight. You're close to the Aran Islands, the Cliff of Moher and the Burrens. I've been told that Dingle Peninsula is well worth visiting.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Donegal is fantastic. And we always seem to end up in a pub in the middle of nowhere, and no one's speaking English until we order.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Ah Bill's right - I'm realizing now that I need at least one night between Kenmare and Donegal.
Our itinerary has progressed:
Arriving Shannon Friday w/ my husband, young son and mother-in-law. Friday night at the Seaview House in Doolin (based on a suggestion here.)
Saturday, driving to Kenmare via ferry. Then, seeing a thousand things in the vicinity, from gardens in W. Cork to the Dingle peninsula during our lovely week in Kenmare.
Mother-in-law departs Shannon on Saturday so I think we'll leave Kenmare Friday and stay somewhere near Shannon. (Ideas and advice are welcome!)

Then, we have 7 days more with just the 3 of us. I know we want to spend most of our time in Donegal. I haven't yet confirmed a reservation in Mount Charles, so I'm not sure that place will work out and I'm very open to all of your helpful advice!