Search

Ireland Itinerary: Northwest??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Itinerary: Northwest??

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a second group trip with my family in 2005. Two areas that people want to return to and explore further are Killarney and Galway; however, I'm looking for a third location and I'm struggling a bit. We have a bus driver so driving and the time invested in it is not so much an issue. We also plan to extend our beyond the 10 days we took before - possibly to 12-15 days.

What are your opinions on the Northwest. I had considered County Sligo and Donegal, but I just don't know. Any other places in the North in general that you just wouldn't miss? I hope to book a place in the country that we can use as a point of exploration.

Thanks in advance!
Heather
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:22 PM

I really, really love Donegal, but it's quite different than Killarney and Galway. It's more remote and rugged and you certainly don't find as many visitors making their way up there. The largest towns you'll find will be Donegal Town and Letterkenny...and they're really not large at all.

For me, great Donegal places include Glencolumkille, Killybegs, Aranmore Island, Glenveagh Natl. Park, Fanad and Inishowen peninsulas, and the Lough Swilly towns of Ramelton and Rathmullen. You can also visit Derry and parts of Northern Ireland as a day trip from Donegal.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 12:55 AM

From Galway you can take your time through Connemara and visit one on the Aran Islands (Inishmor is a short ferry or plane from Spiddal). After you can make your way through Leanne, Clifton and end up in Westport, Mayo. Its a lovely town and you can take a trip to Clare Island from here. The Pirate Queen Grace O'Malley lived on Clare Island. Its an interesting story, she even met the queen of England in her day.

Depending on the time of year you can take a few hours out and visit Rossmoney spa where they have seaweed baths and beauty treatments or just swim in the salt water pool. You will feel amazing after this.

I am not Donegal expert but I had a great time there as well a few summers ago. Its a lot quieter but beautiful.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 01:54 AM

How can you consider Sligo and Donegal and not Mayo?? It may not be the most scenic part of Ireland but for me Mayo is Ireland! Back toward Galway there's Cong (where the Quiet Man was filmed), then there's Croagh Patrick, Clifden and Westport; further east there's Knock Shrine and Ballina (the world's best Rod & reel Salmon fishing on the Moy). Not that far north but the Ceide Fields in north Mayo may be worth a stop; and if Golf interests you, Carne Golf Links just outside Belmullet is the best course I have ever played.

And then there's the Children of Lir: Conn, Fiachra, Aodh and Fionualla: but that's a whole nuther story.

There's an island (InisGlora??) off the coast where St. Brendan the Navigator built a Monastery - I haven't been there but I would love to go, mainly because St. Brendan was a Limerick man like my father.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 12:07 PM
cod

You absolutely must go to the Inishowen Peninsula for a couple of days - Malin Head is the most northerly point in Ireland, and well worth a look. Stay in Rossaor House in Ballyliffen, and you can do the whole peninsula in a couple of days, or stay longer and do trips to the rest of Donegal, and Northern Ireland, like Giant's Causeway (very easily done, now that there is a car ferry from Greencastle to Magilligan every 15 minutes. Inishowen and all of Donegal are every bit as beautiful as the rest of Ireland, but no one seems to know!

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 12:42 PM

Hi cod. The secret is certainly out and I agree, it's beautiful there. Hadn't heard obout the ferry. I won't be back there until 2005, but I'll probably end up taking it one way or the other. Fanad is another favorite of mine. Then again, Horn head is beautiful .... I guess you can't go wrong with most of the Donegal coast.

Bill
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 12:29 PM
cod

To wojazz3; There is another ferry strating in the summer, from Buncrana to Rathmullan. This will cut out a large part of the journey from Inishowen to the rest of Donegal, and make the whole west coast of Donegal very easily accessable. A nice day trip is out to Tory Island - there are lovely walks there, and a diving school, and Derek Hill did a lot of his painting out there. But Inishowen is worth the first few days!

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 02:41 PM

As I rememember, there is a good story about Tory Island in "Round Ireland with a Fridge". Never been there. It would make a nice excursion.

Bill
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:47 AM

Would recommend Antrim Coast, Giant's Causeway, Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-a-Rede ropebridge, Dunluce Castle. Great B&B close to this area in Portrush (seaside town) called Anvershiel House,it is close to great bars and restaurants. Accommodation and food much cheaper than Southern Ireland. Allow at leaset two days to explore this quaint area and there is also great golf.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:03 AM

Forgive my pickiness, but it's the Republic of Ireland...not Southern Ireland.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:33 AM

cod-Donegal and Inishowen are not just as beautiful as the rest of Ireland--they are better! The Inishowen Penisula is my favorite place on the island.

And MaryZ, lots of people refer to southern Ireland. Up north, we always say the south (okay, so my husband's uncles like to say "The Free State&quot when refering to the Republic. I usually only say the Republic when I'm writing on this site to avoid confusino.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:35 AM

or even confusion...

Anyway, I meant to stay that you can have a great trip starting in Connemara (my second favorite place to visit), driving up north to Donegal, across into our lovely 6-county statelet, taking the Antrim Coast road down into Belfast, and then continuing on to the Mountains of Mourne and Strangford Lough. Driving back to Galway will take about 4-5 hours, depending on the number of tractors on the roads.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Doolin should not be overlooked. The pubs are worth exploring due to the amateur folk music performed in an intimate gathering.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your great advice - this really helps. Oh, and I appreciate the comment on Mayo. I agree and I think I might add more of it into our trip somehow. I had definitely planned on at least making some planned stops in Mayo.

I had internet connection problems the day I posted this and thought it hadn't gone through - sorry about the belated gratitide!

Heather