Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Novotel Euston Hotel, London, Priceline bid

Apr 6th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? Our first attempt at using Priceline for hotel accommodation, our first bid was $80 US for a 4 star in the Bloomsbury area- our bid was accepted immediately and we were given the Novotel Euston.

We immediately thought we must have bid too high and also wonder about the location accessibility of the Novotel Euston?? (we were hoping to get the Thistle Marble Arch and had seen successful bids for $90-95 for May when we are going).

What do you experienced Priceline users have to say about our experience? Should we have bid differently- we read a lot of info on BiddingforTravel.com and BetterBidding.com before we put our bid in, but we certainly felt green doing the whole thing!

We welcome any comments...
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:47 AM

On my first trip to London in 2002 I stayed in a hotel two blocks east of Euston Station (just a little west of where you'll be). I found it easy to get anywhere quickly via any of several tube lines close by.
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Marble Arch is in Bloomsbury!!! - you learn something new every day
Apr 6th, 2006, 06:05 AM

The price on Novotel's webpage for a double in May is 89 GBP. Here is the site that includes the location:

http://tinyurl.com/n1qs
Apr 6th, 2006, 06:34 AM

As far as the location goes, that's near enough Bloomsbury - nearer than Marble Arch, and well located for public transport. There are masses of buses going along Euston Road, as well as access to the Underground. It's some way away from the building work at King's Cross, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Apr 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM

You might have been able to succeed with a lower bid, but this is a pretty good deal. This hotel is reported as coming up frequently on both bidding boards. It's especially convenient if you want to visit Camden Market and the British Library. Otherwise, a short tube or bus ride will get you to all the major attractions.
Apr 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. The Novotel Euston was listed in the Bloomsbury-Marylebone-Soho zone on Priceline. I just checked the hotel site now and they are quoting it for $99 when we will be there.

When we initially checked sites after winning the bid, we checked the hotel site and other sites dealing with this hotel and they were quoting their lowest rate quite a bit higher than the $99 I see today. We booked this the beginning of March. Is it possible they have dropped their price that much? I'm sure the lowest we found was almost double what we paid. Could that be?
Apr 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Raz, is that $99 USD or what currency? What are your dates?

Novotel often does have good specials, but I've never seen one for $99 USD for a London Novotel hotel. The prices I've seen are always listed in pounds (for the UK) and Euros (for countries using the Euro) or whatever currency (say Danish kroner) that the country that the hotel is in uses.
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the correction WillTravel - it was 99 GBP! Now I feel much better! I was beginning to think I must have been hallucinating previously - was thinking in US dollars and didn't pay any attention to the currency...