London Hotel Help using PL

Apr 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

London Hotel Help using PL

OK, you all have convinced me that I should try using Priceline. I should say that we will be there in a high season - end of June - for 5 nights. Is it still a good idea to try to use PL for high season?

I have read the FAQ's on biddingfortravel, looked around betterbidding and also Priceline itself. At this point I know some meetings are going to be held at Renaissance Chancery Court on Holborn whose rates are astronomical (to us anyway) - 195 GBP/$386 and up. I don't think it essential that we be near that hotel but travel time to and from is a consideration.

I know I saw a map somewhere with the PL zones on it but am unable to locate it now so I can study the areas. Can you tell me where it is?

What should be my next step? Is it too early to start bidding? Thanks so much.
Apr 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM

This should be the link to the PL map for London zones.

http://tinyurl.com/yw6ayd

It's not too early to start bidding. The main thing is that you understand how to bid, and have a plan for where & how much to bid.

There are no cancellations with priceline.

If you don't succeed with your first bid, then you need the patience to keep trying every few days. A lot of people aren't patient enough.
Apr 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I did find it by going to Priceline, and starting the bidding process. A map popped up at the select the area step.

As I stated, I have been researching how to use PL and was especially encouraged by other posters here on Fodors.
Apr 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM

First to clear up one thing -- June is not high season.

Anywhere in central London will be reasonably convenient to the Chancery Court by bus or tube.

The closest zone would be Bloomsbury/Marble Arch (this is the PL zone where the Chancery Court is located but so is Kings Cross), followed by Mayfair/Soho, and then the rest like Westminster, Kens/Earls Court/Kinghtsbridge, and The City/London Bridge.
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:02 PM

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-....html?id=12697

According to this article high season in London starts May 31. This was the fact in 2005 and still is now. Click on 2nd URL
Apr 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM

By that I mean June is not "high" or "highest" season since European schools are still in session and families cannot start traveling until mid July. Of course there are lots of travelers - but one can still get reduced airfares in June, but not in July/Aug. Outside of central London hotels/cottages/apartments charge less in June than the rest of the summer.

I meant in practical terms - things are not full or overly crowded in June. July/August -- that is a whole different thing . . . . . .
Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate your input, Janis. I have read some of your other posts regarding areas to bid on. I have looked at the hotel lists and you are right, Mayfair looks very nice. I'm still doing my homework. Should I join bidding for travel or better bidding?

Like I said, still doing my homework - need to learn how to rebid.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM

Ronda: yes, many people do register/join those sites - especially if they want to ask for specific bidding assistance. But many others read the posts and get enough info just lurking.

biddingfortravel is not as closely monitored nor quite as active as it used to be. So it is really up to you if you want to join up or not.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Janis, that is what I have been doing - lurking. Thanks.

Well, my task just got simplier; I originally thought I needed to find accommodations for the entire 5 days in London but DH now tells me I only need to find accommodations for Sat. and Sun. night - the nights we are on our own.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM

ooh - that will help You won't be competing w/ all the business travelers and hotel occupancy should be a bit lower . . . . .