Nostra Signora di Lourdes Convent in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've stayed at this convent before, how did you contact them? There is no email address - only fax and phone numbers. Thanks.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Many convents don't have e-mail and only list phone/fax. Is there a particular reason you want to stay at this one?
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM

They have a 10:30 curfew if that is a concern. I have e-mails for other convents that don't have that early of a curfew if you want them.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 12:15 AM

I was not aware one could stay in a convent? Is there a daily rate?
Interesting,
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Hi Lurker, yes you can stay in convents. We stayed in one in 2008 in Rome and loved it, although I wouldn't particularly recommend our particular convent as it was a bit too far out of the centre of Rome and we wasted quite a bit of time commuting each day. I will definitely do that again but I'll find one closer to the city centre. From memory ours was about 80 euros per day for a huge spotlessly clean room with ensuite and a basic breakfast included. You don't have to be Catholic. My only other tip would be to find one with English speaking nuns. Some days at our convent we only had Italian speaking nuns and that meant we couldn't ask for any assistance at all re directions etc.

Too be honest I can't work out why more budget travellers don't stay in convents, I would much prefer it to a 1 or 2 star hotel.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Yes, lurker, there are over 200 convents (in Rome) where you can stay. The prices range from 12€ to 200€. Some have websites/e-mail and others you can only contact by phone/fax. Some have shared baths and others have private bath. Many have curfews so you want to be sure and check although in Rome you can find some that don't or that are as late as 12:00 or 1:00. Each convent decides their own price. There is one behind the Vatican with private bath/AC that is 35€ per night and two by the forum that are 50€ per night. Usually your room just has beds/bath, no tv/phone (a few have tv in the room and others will have a tv room somewhere in the convent). Very few will have AC. I stayed at this one in Orvieto (there are three convents in this tiny hill town)last year for 31€ per night + 3€ for breakfast. No one spoke English. Click on "where we are" and scroll down to see the convent on the side of the cliff.
http://www.monasterosanlodovico.it/English/english.htm

cathies - If you stay in the historic center then English is not that much of a problem as there are Rome tourist offices nearby for directions.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. My friend and I decided to stay for 2 nights in a convent for the experience and for 4 nights in a hotel. She preferred the Spanish Steps area, but I prefer the Piazza Navona/Pantheon area. Since our hotel is in the Piazza Navona area, I thought I would compromise and look for a convent by the Spanish Steps.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Are you sure you want a 10:30 curfew though?
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

We will be there the first 2 nights of our stay in Rome, so I imagine we'll be exhausted by even 9 pm at least the first night there.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM

An easy way to book at a convent or monastery is to use the services of www.monasterystays.com. I found them when planning my next trip to Italy. It is an online booking service with access to heaps of monasteries and convents all over Italy but tons in Rome. Room rates look reasonable. I'm sure your place will be listed so I'd check it out. Having Italian speaking nuns is all part of the experience I hope to have.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM

Scout - Keep in mind that dinner is late in Italy.

As for monasterystays, they are good for researching locations/amenities, but I wouldn't book through them as they mark the prices up 10-15€ per night. It's better (cheaper) to book directly through the convent. The Rome Tourist Board has a list of all the convents and their contact information on their website.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Hi Kybourbon, that's a good tip about the tourist offices or assistance. I agree with you about monasterystays being good for research but not to book through.

We didn't have tv in our room, but we didn't care, as tv isn't high on the agenda when I am travelling.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 06:05 AM

cathies - Here's the link for them. You can refine your search by area (select centro under macrozone and then other zones will appear under zone which you can then select). You must click applica each time and then annulla to clear any selections. Some of the other selections don't work so well and don't show all convents that offer what you selected (such as whether they accept groups, etc.). If you click on the name of the convent, you will get more details (amenities/facilities, etc.) and a map. Click on the camera on the map and you will get a street view which you can zoom in and see what the area is like around the convent.
http://www.060608.it/en/content/list...glienza/id/152
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Hi Kybourbon, that's fantastic information, thank you so much.

On Friday night at dinner with friends we tentatively decided on a trip to Northern Italy next August but my husband and I are going to include some time in Rome as we feel we just skimmed the surface last time.