Search

convent stay in Venice and Rome

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
convent stay in Venice and Rome

hi there,

I will be in Venice for two days and Rome for two days in May. Looking for alternate accommodation, understand that convents and monasteries can be less expensive.
Anyone have any information on ones I should check out. Much appreciated.
Kay
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM

Part of our group stayed in a convent when we went a few years ago but it was not as close to the city center as some others, so it would not be my first suggestion for you. The website for Santa Susanna has many Roman convents listed under "coming to Rome."

http://www.santasusanna.org/ourChurch/ourChurch.html
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM

We have stayed at a convent at Via Sistina in Rome, twice. The street runs along to the top of the Spanish Steps, very central. It is clean and functional with lino on the floor, but still with the original doors and windows. Quiet if you can get a room facing the courtyard. Doors close @ 10pm I think. It is a fantastic option for accommodation in Rome, or anywhere in Italy. There are websites devoted to this option.

I think we paid $80E 2 years ago. Breakfasts are a bread roll and jam, with coffee of tea, which is standard in Italy. Apparently establishments in Italy have to pay extra to the Government if they want to serve a "good" breakfast.

I would recommend this convent to anyone, but not to honeymooners!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Try this site - www.monasterystays.com. We rented through them and absolutely loved the convent we stayed in - huge room, clean bathroom, in fact, the entire place was spotless. Breakfast for us too was coffee, rolls, juice. We just kept a few snacks in our room for extras. About 80 euros per night in May 2008. Ours had a curfew too but we were so tired by 11pm that we were happy to be back at the convent by then. Try to choose a convent that is run by an English speaking order, our other problem was that occasionally the nuns on reception spoke NO English!! The Monastery Stays people will be able to tell you that.

I won't tell you which one we stayed in as is was too far out of the Rome city centre to be convenient. Make sure you are close to everything as it is really good to be able to crash for a while during the day if you are tired. We had to catch a tram or train back to our place and after a few days is was a pain in the neck.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:36 PM

Hello Marathoner,
Here is a website for you to check out.
This convent is run by the Pallottine Sisters in Rome which is 5 minutes walk to St. Peters Basilica.
(Procura Generale Soure Missionaire Pallottine) website
The address Viale della Mura
Aurelie, 7B 00165
Roma Tel 06/393 6351
Fax 06/393 66943
One of the nuns speak very little english.
I stayed there last August 2011. The doors are closed at 12.m in the summer. I like staying there because it was near St. Peter's Square. You may email them and they will reply. Again check the website to email them.