Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Norway/Sweden trip planned. Need great things to see.

Old Mar 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive Amsterdam in May. After a few days there we want to drive to Copenhagen, then Stockholm and Oslo before returning to Amsterdam two weeks later. Maybe go to Bergen if time allows. This is our 26th trip to Europe and we mostly drive. It is our first extensive time in this area. Any tips on things not to miss in the small towns?
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM

In Norway I think you should prioritize seeing Bergen and the Norwegian west coast fjords over visiting Oslo. After Copenhagen and Stockholm, Oslo may seem not all that impressive.

I suggest you drive from Stockholm, through Oslo and then on to the Norwegian west cost. The drive from Stockholm to Oslo will take around one day. Spend a day in Oslo and see things like the Munch-museum, the Viking ship museum, the Fram museum and the Opera house. Perhaps take a drive up to the Holmenkollen ski jump and ski arena.

From Oslo drive via Hallingdal to Aurland and start your exploration of the west coast fjords of Sognefjord, Hardangerfjord and Geirangerfjord.

To start your journey back to Amsterdam, consider going by ferry from Bergen to Hirtshals in Denmark. This ferry route is operated by Fjordline (http://www.fjordline.no). Fjordline also run ferries from Stavanger and Kristiansand to Hirtshals. Colorline (http://www.colorline.no/) also run ferries from Kristiansand to Hirtshals.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 02:51 PM

You may want to read my trip report, although we only drove for 5 days while we were there; just click on my name to find it. We flew to Oslo, took the train to Bergen, drove to Trondheim and from there flew to Stockholm.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both replies. This is the type information I am looking for.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Agree that Oslo has signifcantly less to do then Copenhagen and Stockholm. I would allow 3 days for C and 5 days for S to see the major sights. Try to stop in Malmo - very cute - and Visby on the way from C to S. On the way to C be sure to stop in Roskild (fantastic preserved ship museum and fascinatiing cathedral) - and visit the castles north of Copenhagen.

Oslo has a wonderful WWII museum that shouldn;t be missed. But definitely allow time for the fjords rather than the cities in Norway.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Great input....any more?