Suggestions for 2 weeks in Norway/Sweden

Apr 9th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions for 2 weeks in Norway/Sweden

I'll be spending 2 weeks in Norway and Sweden (flying into/out of Stockholm) at the end of June/beginning of July, and am putting together my itinerary. Do you think that 3 days in Stockholm, 2 days in Gothenburg, 2 elsewhere in Sweden (or ferry to/from Helsinki), 2 days in Oslo, and the rest of the time around Bergen and fjords is a good itinerary? I was thinking of taking trains, rather than renting a car. I would love to hear your opinions.
Apr 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

A few years ago we did a similar trip and I think 3 days in and around Stockholm is enough. I would spend time in the "Kingdom of Glass" region and in and around Malmo. We only spent a day in the Gothenburg area, and didn'think it was a highlight. We wished we had taken a little more time in Sweden and gone to Visby.
You might want 3 days in the Oslo area and then Bergin/fjords. We loved Bergen, but drove from Stockholm to Bergen then ferry the the UK. We took 4 days to make the drive. This was late September and it was already turning toward winter in the mountains between Oslo and Bergen.
Enjoy, a beautiful part of the world and great, friendly people!

Apr 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Yes, your plan sounds like a good one. I would only ensure that you minimize backtracking, somewhat unavoidable if in/out Stockholm.

We rented a car; for the fjords area around Bergen, it is definitely the way to go. If you can rent a hybrid, even better (by experience, not hearsay). We went the first two weeks of July and it was glorious. Many good ways to do this, including train to Bergen , rent car in Bergen to drive around the Hardangerfjorden and Sognefjorden areas. Drop the car in Oslo for train to Stockholm. If you are looking for lodging in Bergen recommend the Hotel Scandic, about $120/double, includes breakfast, walking distance to main sights. Have a great time and enjoy this most wonderful opportunity!
Apr 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM

In 03, we flew into Oslo, and did the Norway in Nutshell trip via train, to Bergen. Picked up car in Bergen, and drove south thru the Stedestal valley, and took the ferry overnight to Denmark. Stayed on the island of Aero, then Copenhagen, then drove to Stockholm, them back to Oslo.

The drive from Copenhagen to Stockholm was a bit boring,as well as the drive from Stockholm back to Oslo, altho we do like the freedom of our own car.

Here's a thought. From Stockholm, do the ferry to Helsinki and back. Then, quick flight right to Bergen. Pick up a car and do the fjords, and drop it in Oslo. Then train or fly back to Stockholm.

If you do the N in Nutshell tour, consider staying overnight half way thru it, at the Stalheim hotel, for some breathless scenery
Apr 9th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your opinions and suggestions - they are much appreciated!
Apr 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Central Sweden is beautiful. I would recommend driving up there. We stayed in Ostersund and loved it.

I don't really think you'll need a car in Stockholm. We left ours in the hotel's garage the entire time we were there and used public transportation.

The ferry to Helsinki idea is great. We took an overnight ferry from Stockholm to Turku and indulged ourselves in a stateroom. We got a decent night's sleep and were ready to hit the pavement running when we arrived in Finland.
Apr 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM

cls4
Your plan looks okay. There is one thing which might give you some thought. There's a canal which cuts across the whole country. This is the Gota Canal. You can board a bit south from Stockholm and you'll ride all over the country. It finallizes at Gothenburg.

I think it took three days on the boat. It's a very leisure trip and maybe you'll required to help changing the locks. There's a lot of locks across the whole country.

http://www.scantours.com/16.html

It's magic!

Blackduff