Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Help with Copenhagen/Oslo/Stockholm in August

Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Copenhagen the first weekend in August for 16 days - we will have our 2 boys with us (9 and 12) - who are used to travelling extensively. We were planning on spending 3 or 4 days in and around Copenhagen and then heading off somewhere via rental car. I was thinking we'd head north towards Oslo (6.5 hr drive according to MapQuest) - spend a few days in and around Oslo. Then drive to Stockholm (another 6.5 hr drive) - spending a few days in and around Stockholm. Before finally heading back to Copenhagen. This should leave us time to explore along the way and still be able to "do" these cities.

I've just started the research process. It seems like this is a reasonable itinerary given the time we have and the distance between these cities. Is this accurate? Is this driveable? Any concerns travelling between these countries?

Any thoughts about the Norway in a Nutshell program out of Oslo? Does this make sense to do with the rental car (nothing like paying a hefty car rental price to leave it sit in a parking lot for 3 days)? Can we drive the itinerary of the Norway in a Nutshell program? I think the kids would enjoy the train...

Any recommendation on places to visit between these 3 cities? Any must sees? Places that are phenomenal? We're all active - and enjoy hiking, boating, biking, etc. Usually anything outdoors is great. But we also enjoy the museums and the cultural aspects of these cities.

Also - any hotel suggestions in these cities or along the route?

And then we can always do the opposite itinerary and go south into Germany through Hamburg to Berlin and back to Copenhagen. Any thoughts on this plan over the Scandanavian plans?

Again, just beginning the process - so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 09:14 AM

I doubt you will make CPH to Oslo in 6-7 hrs. Possible also with ferry from Copenhagen or drive to Frederikshavn (Denmark North) ferry from there. Bergen is the must-see if you're into Nutshell, which goes by public transport, so you might book and split as you like. Car not possible between Myrdal and Flåm. Rent bikes Flåm, take train up to Myrdal and bike down.You cannot take car on train, so drive to Bergen or Aurland/Flam and start nutshell there.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Car rental and gas prices are very expensive in Scandanavia. We have rented a car both trips to Norway - driving is easy - you could drive from Oslo to Bergen - do the Norway in a Nutshell trip leaving Bergen and returning to Bergen. Then you could drive back to Oslo following a different route.

There is excellent train service between Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm. And a wonderful ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki if that would interest you. Also, there is a 4 day trip from Helsinki to St Petersburg Russia via train. Just giving you some ideas if your plans are not set yet.

Our first Norway in a Nutshell trip was from Oslo to Bergen, stayed in Bergen 2 nights and then returned to Oslo.
Our second trip was by train to Stavanger, a few days in Stavanger with a fjord boat ride, then a ferry along the coast to Bergen. From Bergen we returned to Oslo on the Norway in a Nutshell tour with an overnight on the fjord.

You will have a great time wherever you decide to go. Beautiful country.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM

We did your trip with our sons a couple of years ago when they were 9 and 11. Same destinations. We had a couple more nights. It was a great trip. In Copenhagen, my sons suggest visiting the armory (can't think of the long Danish name at this moment)- one of the best collections of cannons and swords we have seen anywhere. Denmark's crown jewels collection is also remarkable. Tivoli Gardens for an evening is another must do. The Holocaust museum is well done. I also suggest a boat trip out of Nyhavn.

We took the ferry overnight from Copenhagen to Oslo. It was one of our trip highlights. We left the car at the train station in Oslo while we did Norway in a Nutshell. We highly recommend doing NiaN. We enjoyed Bergen very much, and we were quite pleased to have a spent a day there before heading back to Oslo on the overnight train. We found the drive between Oslo and Stockholm to be the least interesting part of our trip (nice, scenic countryside and some nice little towns but it didn't compare with the rest of our trip).

If I did this trip again, I would rent a car in Copenhagen for a couple of days for day trips such as Roskilde. You don't need a car in Copenhagen. I would turn in the car in Copenhagen and take the ferry to Oslo. I'd do NiaN, but this time, I would fly to Stockholm afterwards. Consequently, we would not pay for the rental car to sit at the train station while we did NiaN and Bergen. We never used our car in Stockholm, so I'd pick up a rental car when we're leaving Stockholm. We enjoyed Gotenburg for an overnight between Stockholm and Copenhagen.

I wish we had had time to get to Helsinki and St. Petersburg but 17 days wasn't enough time to include those destinations.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great information. Lots to think about.

padams - a couple questions regarding your revised itinerary.

For the ferry between Copenhagen and Oslo - do we reserve in advance? I would guess so - do you remember who the ferry provider was or are there several? Does the ferry dock near where NiaN boards?

Was managing your luggage difficult?

For the flights - I've seen several people discuss this on other posts. Are the flights expensive between Oslo and Stockholm? I assume this would be on SAS.

Also - you recommend renting a car in Stockholm for the trip back to Copenhagen. Is it expensive to do a one-way rental between these two cities. I've heard that it is. What about a train as an alternative or even another ferry?

For the NiaN program - there seem to be many options. Did you do only a single night in Bergen? Is that enough? Bratsandbeer - you stayed 2 nights in Bergen - was this just right, not enough or too much? Any suggestions on the NiaN program?
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 12:04 AM

The museum with the guns is Tøjhusmuseet. Just one correction. Our Jewish Museum is not a holocaustmuseum, but a museum about ordinary Jewish life in Denmark for the last centuries. Most escaped to Sweden. Daniel Liebeskind built the museum. I second that you stay in Copenhagen, take the ferry to Oslo, train from Oslo to Bergen is breathtaking beautiful. Do the nutshell, and perhaps fly back to Denmark and skip Sweden. Then you could end up by renting a car in Copenhagen and do Denmark.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM

I can't comment on the CPH part.

We did trains Stockholm-Oslo-NIN RT to Flam (not on to Bergen).
We managed fine with rollaboard and pack.
Train was extremely cheap with advance purchase online.
Airfare Oslo-Stockholm was reasonable with advance purchase. Must also factor in time/cost getting to Stockholm airport. SAS was major carrier. Airfare for Bergen was high.
Train Stockholm-Oslo was long, boring, and not air conditioned during a heat wave. I do not recommend unless price is all important.
Train Oslo-Flam was scenic. Options as mentioned to bike/train/ferry around Flam. Also cycling up on the tundra at small towns before Flam. We overnighted in Flam. Search for NIN and you will find many opinions from last summer.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Just a heads-up with regard to flying SAS airlines.

The airline is currently in crisis mode http://www.france24.com/en/20100209-...plans-job-cuts and some international routes have already been dropped.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great information. We have alot to think about.

Looks like we'll do the overnight ferry from CPH to Oslo - and coordinate with the NIN from Oslo with an overnight or two in Bergen.

Any recommendations on where to stay while in CPH, Oslo, and Bergen?

Any recommendations on must do's for these destinations as well? I know my boys will love the Tøjhusmuseet.

Also - at this point, I'm thinking we may just not go to Stockholm. After NIN, just heading back by Ferry to CPH and renting a car to explore the rest of Denmark. Given this, and assuming 4 days to explore Denmark, any suggestions on towns or things to visit?

Again, thank you all for your feedback. I truly appreciate the help!!
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 06:38 AM

When in Oslo, perhaps go to one of the small and charming seaside villages Drøbak or Son (30 and 45 mins drive from the city center respectively).

Go for a swim, buy some freshly cooked shrimps in the harbour/local fish shop or sit down at one of the many cafés. Drøbak is the larger of the two and has got more shopping as well as a couple of hotels, while Son has got 5-6 interesting shops, some nice galleries (Son is popular with artists) and 4-5 fine cafés/restaurants as well as tons of charm. Often outdoor concerts at night in summer.

About Drøbak: http://www.visitdrobak.no/visitdroba...drobak.no.html

Son Bed & Breakfast: http://www.askveien7.no/
Some photos: http://www.norphoto.no/r/eng3354.php
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:13 AM

Hello,

Interestingly I'm planning on a very similar itinerary during the exact same period. I'm from the USA, but just moved to Oslo. I have 2 friends from the States coming the first weekend of August for 2 weeks. I will have to work the first week, but taking holiday the second. So I figure they can have a couple of days in Oslo, then do Norway in a Nutshell for 2 days, then another day in Oslo, then we all head off by car to Stockholm, 4 nights in Stockholm, then drive to Copenhagen, 4 nights in Copenhagen, then drive back to Oslo and they fly home. Overall, it's not an insignificant amount of travel, but we can all share the driving, and I hope the journey itself is part of the fun. Also, when you factor in the fact that I already have the car, the cost and hassle and time of getting to/from the airports for 3 people, plus the advantage of having the car for little day trips from Stockholm & Copenhagen, I think it will be worth it.

I'm trying to research the best stuff to do in all these areas now, as well as places to stay, and I welcome suggestions. Bphillips003, perhaps I will see you somewhere along the way!

Cheers,
Rob
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 05:38 PM

I've just started my research into this area also, wanting some alternative to the usual large cruise ship. Thank you for the above info. Bratsandbeer, I like your suggestion about the ferry to Helsinki and trip to St.Petersburg. Is it easy to find these on google? Any links? Also for accommodations like B&B's

Any other tips, off the beaten path suggestions etc would be appreciated.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:43 AM

What budget are we talking about. And are you looking for hotels or apartments?
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 12:39 AM

Hi all,

When it comes to flying between Copenhagen - Oslo - Stockholm or domestic flights within Denmark, Norway or Sweden the best option is usually Norwegian Airlines http://www.norwegian.com/
This is a low cost airline with adequate service. If you can book well in advance and if you can accept a nonrefundable ticket this is a very good option, particularly for the segment Oslo - Stockholm that is rather dull to drive. In Norway flights should be avoided since the scenery is breath taking. If you consider train travel between Copenhagen - Gothenburg - Oslo - Stockholm you should also book well in advance at www.sj.se (Swedish Rail; web site available in English). 90 days prior to departure they release a very limited number of low fare tickets. These prices are usually discounted more than 50% compared to regulare fares. They sell out very quickly though. Low fare train tickets are sold for all trains so you will travel as comfortable as if you bought a full fare ticket. If you can't or don't want to book in advance, Norwegian Airlines usually turns out to be a cheaper option than the train between the Scandinavian capitals. Norwegian Airlines also flies between Stockholm and Helsinki.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM

MsLizzy We signed up for our tour to St Petersburg with www.nordicsaga.com. They will take care of getting your Russian Visa for you. It was a 4 day trip by train. We enjoyed seeing the countryside and how the farms and buildings changed from Finland to Russia - mainly the lack of upkeep on homes etc in Russia.

Many on Fodors go to Russia independently so you may want to go by train from Helsinki to St Petersburg on your own. You do need a visa.

For the overnight ferry check online for Silja Line.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 07:18 AM

bphillips003 Bergen - we really didn't do a lot in Bergen - we went to the mountain top on the funicular (be sure to do that the view is great). We walked around the Bryggen area.
WEnt to a couple of the outdoor museums with the old buildings etc.
http://www.visitbergen.com/en/attrac...l-attractions/

We stayed at the Augustin Hotel on both of our trips to Bergen.

We like to stay at the Thon Opera Oslo because it is just a walk across the street to the train station and it is a nice hotel.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Thank you Hoxa61 and bratsandbeer. I will follow both your leads in my future plans. As I said I am at the beginning of my research into the area. I was born in the Netherlands so I'm considering starting or ending there before flying home.

Soljet, Not sure how to answer about the budget. I do like doing things with an occasional splurge