Norway in a Nutshell question

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway in a Nutshell question

I'll be heading to Scandinavia in a couple of weeks and am planning to include Norway in a Nutshell as part of my itinerary. However, after reading everything about Norway in a Nutshell that I could find, I'm still a bit confused.

I'm planning to buy a Scanrail pass to cover multiple journeys in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. I was planning to use the Scanrail pass to go from Oslo to Bergen and then do the Norway in a Nutshell roundtrip tour starting in Bergen and stopping along the way since I'll be travelling with an infant. I was wondering if the Norway in a Nutshell tour uses the same NSB regional train or if they have their own train that they use. If it is a different train, is the route/scenery any different?

I would also appreciate any suggestions about where is the best to stop overnight on the Bergen roundtrip tour.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 03:13 AM

We did the Norway in a Nutshell a couple of years ago. The way that we did it was on the way to Bergen, on the regular train. We didn't book it as a package, but did the same itinerary. We were using a Eurail pass for the trains. From Olso, we took the train and got off in Myrdal, and took the local scenic train down to Flam. There we purchased the ticket on the boat through the fjord. The scenery on both the train and the boat were spectacular. At Gudvangen we got off the boat and a bus took us back to a train station in Voss, where we picked up a local train to continue the short trip to Bergen. After a couple of nights in Bergen, we took an overnight train with a sleeper back to Oslo. Of course, you have to take your luggage with you on the boat and the bus, but we were backpacking, so that wasn't a problem. Here's a link to info on the trip: http://www.eurorailways.com/scenic/nintime.htm. I hope you enjoy the trip.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JackandDan for the information. I had a look at the website you sent and made a few phone calls. You were correct that the Scanrail Pass will cover the entire Norway in a Nutshell itinerary. I didn't realise that Norway in a Nutshell is just a package deal for the local trains,buses and boats.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm really looking forward to the trip.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Good description of Nutshell trip from jackandann...it is a long tiring but scenic day of travel. Lots of nice places in Bergen to stay and a nice place to relax.

Where else will you be in Scandinavia?

Bill in Missouri [email protected]
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ozarkbill,

We will be flying into Copenhagen and from there are taking the train to Stockholm, Oslo, and then on to Bergen. I think we will break up the Norway in a Nutshell trip and spend the night in Flam (if I can get a reservation) as it is a long day especially as we're travelling with an infant.

We're really looking forward to the trip! Any suggestions for the cities where we are going would be appreciated.

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 11:31 AM

Bayougirl, Are you about to leave? Here's what we liked...
Copenhagen: guard change Amalienberg Palace, Tivoli Gardens, Gauguin and other art at nearby museum, stroll Stroget and also thru Nyhaven and maybe Christiania, side trips to Kronberg Castle & Gilleleje.

Oslo: Akerhus Castle, Resistance Museum nearby, Vigeland sculptures, Kon Tiki & Viking Museums at Bygdoy, Nat'l Art Museum with Edvard Munch paintings.

Bergen: Hanseatic structures & museum, stroll in Nygardsperken & harbor, Fjord cruise, side trips to Oygarden and to Lysoen.

Stockholm: Vasa Museum, stroll down Drottninggaten & Gamla Stan, shopping in markets, day trip to Sigtuna & Uppsala.

Enjoy! Bill in Missouri
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 05:24 AM
dkw

Another option for your overnight would be in the village of Aurland. My husband and I stopped and spent 2 nights there in May of 2002. Aurland is the first stop on the boat past Flam. (about a 10-15 minute ride) I can suggest the Aurland Fjiordhotel. It is a short walk from the dock. We had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the Fjiord. The food was excellent!!

The great thing about stopping overnight is that it gives you the opportunity to get on the first boat of the morning which is used more by locals and children going to school than tourist groups. We had the boat practically to ourselves.

Scandinavia is wonderful...it sounds as if you have a great trip planned!!

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:29 AM

bayougirl, are you back yet? would love to hear about it...
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:09 PM

Scanrail I think doesn't cover much of the Norway Nutshell loop - only the mainline train Bergen-Voss-Mydral and only a 30% if any on the Flam-Myrdal mountain train and not even a discount on the fjord Gudvagen-flam boat or the Gudvagen-Voss bus. We sell ScanRail passes and this is according to the product sheets, which, however, could be inaccurate. You're probably back now so can tell us if it does.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:37 PM

It is true that Scanrail only cover 30% of the Myrdal-Flåm railway. When travelling together as a couple on boat and ferry the second adult gets a 50% discount, making it a total of 25% discount. If staying one night in Flåm do not take the morning train at 8 a.m. but the next one. You will then arrive Flåm at 5 p.m. and avoid the rush of all travellers doing the ordinary Nutshell trip.