COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Normandy sidetrip from Paris

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Normandy sidetrip from Paris

Normandy-After reading some of the posts, it seems prudent to have an overnight stay. Are there recommendations for places to stay to accommodate 4 and possibly 6 family members in a lodging that has amenities and is a good value? Has anybody used a good guide for Normandy?
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I would recommend you base yourself in Bayeux. We loved the Château de la Bellefontaine on our last foray into Normandy, but other Fodorites have good suggestions, too.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM

For a first time visit you might want to do the bus tour that leaves from the rue de Rivoli. It makes for a long day but they do a good job and that includes a decent lunch etc.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:44 PM

I can highly recommend www.victorytours.com . Roel and his wife have a chateau B&B. There is a two night minimum, but the prices are very reasonable. Whats nice about it, is that you pretty much have the whole chateau to yourself, as there are only 3 or 4 rooms. I have some pictures at www.happytotravel.shutterfly.com .Roel does D-Day tours also and you get a sort of package deal if you do both.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Sorry, try this web address for Victory Tours. http://www.lignerolles.homestead.com/
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:27 PM

My husband and son did Normandy two years ago, during our stay in Paris. They did a day tour - left from, I think, Gare du Nord around 7, and returned that evening around 10. The tour I booked included train fare, a guided tour morning and afternoon, and lunch. They loved the tour! It was a long day, but my son, the war history enthusiast, said it was the best day of his life.
Here is the link - www.normandyddaytours.com.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM

I'd rent a car, stop in Giverney and go on to Bayeux. You can get a good guidebook and do all the highlights of Normandy on your own-it's all very easy and very well marked with historical information, etc.

We like the freedom of a car and no tours when we go but many do not.

You're pushing it all to stay only 1 night but it's certainly doable for the highlights.