COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One night in the Cinque Terre. Where should I go?

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:15 AM
JES
Original Poster

I'd like to get a good feel for the area in the limited time I have available. Can anyone recommend the best town to do this from? I'd like to do a little hiking on the trail that connects though not all 5 villages.
Also any very cute but somewhat reasonable hotel accomodation recommendations?
Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:46 PM
JES
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
kja

You might want to search this forum a bit - there have been quite a few discussions about the towns, trails, and options for accomodation. It's a great area - enjoy!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM

If you are going soon it could be difficult to find a room and be very crowded. Also, if you
only have one night I would rethink it
especially if you plan to have any
hiking time. A couple of years ago we
stayed in Levanto although I wouldn't
recommend the place we stayed, but you might find something there.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Porto Roca in Monterosso Al Mare TEl 0187 817502 and did hiking from there. Also the Cenobio dei Dogi in Camogli-but I think that was more expensive. We did this in 2004. The hiking in the area is fabulous.Some sections are easy and some more difficult. Have fun!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM

One night is going to be very frustrating for you but if that's what you are locked in to doing I don't think it matters a lot which village you spend the night in. Monterrosso is larger and has more restaurants, etc. as well as a large beach but Vernazza is a lovely place to spend one night as is Riomaggiore. I've read other posters say they enjoyed staying in Manarola. I can recommend reasonable priced Hotel Pasquale in Monterrosso...right on the water and includes breakfast. Vernazza I can recommend the large apartment with windows opening out onto Piazza Marconi and you reserve that through Franco Maria Apartments.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. Caroltis, Hotel Pasquale looks perfect. Unfortunately they are fully booked. That will probably be my problem with most places. Any other suggestions similar to this?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:29 AM

An alternative for you might be to stay in Margherita which has good train access into Cinque Terra and has more hotel options. From there you can also take a bus or a boat ride to see Portofino and Ravello.

If you go to Monterroso, I highly recommend a restaurant in the center of town called La Lampada. Great pasta and seafood combinations.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Monterosso will have the most hotel and restaurant options for you, as it is the largest of the 5 towns. Buon viaggio!