Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

no one looks at the US board--question about Charleston SC for any of you from there?

Search

no one looks at the US board--question about Charleston SC for any of you from there?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried posting on the US board with no luck. Apparently no one looks at that board. Are you from the Charleston area, or do you know it? Is there an upscale grocery store anywhere between the airport and Edisto Beach? We'll be on Edisto for a week and I'd like to have some interesting foods. Thanks.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 10:41 AM

I am not from Charleston but do live in South Carolina and have been to Edisto Beach and Charleston many times. You will find plenty of standard grocery stores in Edisto but I can't think of a specialty grocer at this time. I am sure you will have no trouble finding plenty of places to purchase the items that you are looking for, as every tourist store seems to carry Southern foods and cooking supplies. Those of us who live here simply buy the same items without the fancy lables and the tourist prices at the normal grocery stores such as Kroger, Food Lion and Publix. I will ask some friends who live down that way if they can think of any upscale specialty stores but I don't think they will be necessary. Please let me know if you require any further information about the area and I will be happy to help if I can. Enjoy your trip as it is one of my favorite areas for a quick weekend trip.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:10 AM
JonJon

Since you didn't bother to explain what "interesting" means I'm somehow not surprised you haven't gotten many answers and the previous post is probably the most you can expect, frankly.

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:23 AM
jenifer

Lots of people read the US board, but it's slightly slower than this one. Also, weekends are generally much slower than weekdays. Top your post on Monday (on the US board) and you'll probably get responses.

Plus, what good is it if everyone just decides to post on whichever board they think is busiest? If I come to the Europe board looking for posts on Europe, but everyone from the US board decided to post here, how would I find what I was looking for? Or, if I want to find information from previous posts about the US, why would I ever think to search the Europe board?

Sticking to the "rules" of the boards makes it work for everyone, not just one person.

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Jdraper--

Thanks for the kind reply. I guess I shoul have clarified that I want a store that has an interesting prepared deli selection, perhaps some in-store marinated types of meats, some gourmet cheeses etc. I'm from Minneapolis where we have an abundance of upscale grocery stores and where I could get a week's worth of in-house fancy items that just need to be stuck in the oven (basically take-out food that you make yourself).

Jenifer--Sorry if I offended your sense of propriety and proper etiquette. Maybe you should know though that this board has 20 times the action that the US board does. The US board had 50 postings since 2/23. This one has had 1000. Now do you understand? Plus, what's the big deal? We're here to help each other. I'd answer a question about the US on this board if I knew the answer.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Julies -- the US board has had over 50 posts since noon time today. ????

I think you are better off on the US board. Lots of Charleston people who are probably enjoying the great weather we are having. You're not leaving anytime soon, are you?
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:03 PM

It might not the the board, US or Europe but your question.
There just might not be that many people with much to say about grocery stores in Charleston.
How long has your question been there? You can just top it to keep it going, I think you might find that the Europe boards have more Europeans posting than the US boards and I doubt there will be much more SC grocery store info .
It is not a matter of propriety as much as just the way things are done that works the best.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 02:23 PM

I would suggest that the reason you're not getting any anwers is that the type of place you're looking for may not exist - nor was it clear apparently to a lot of people what you're looking for - it's not really a grocery store - its a gourmet shop with prepared foods/take out meals - like Zabar's - correct?
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:41 PM
jenifer

50 questions since 2/23 on the US board?????

I'm looking at the US board right now, 8:40PM eastern time, and the 50th post was made at 3:36 eastern time, today!

And the big deal is that if only 1 person does it, it doesn't matter. But what if everyone did it? Why are you so special that you can post your questions anywhere you want, when everyone else posts where fodors has specifically said they should go?

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Ok Jenifer, julies, has been the second person I've personally noticed posting out of their respective boards. I think she just felt a bit desperate so kindly calm down.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 05:27 PM

I am from Beaufort, 15 south of Edisto [by water][55 by land] and my guess is that your best bets are Publix etc before leaving Charleston or Ravenal. As you head south from the airport you will see a number of stores just off the road. Depend9ing on when you are going, just buy local crab, fish, oysters etc. Shrimp won't be in until June. "Something interesting?" It doesn't get much more interesting than a crab of fish that was in the creek 2 hours ago!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Have you thought of looking in the yellow pages? It's really not that difficult, they are online now for everywhere.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:11 AM
Jed

I have been checking these boards almost daily for more than a year. On the average, there are 200 postings for the weekday 24 hrs on the US board, and 250 on the Europe board.

This reminds me of the post a few years ago when someone was angry, that all the other questions were answered, but his/hers wasn't. Person was informed that this is a voluntary board, and depends on the knowledge and helpfulness of whoever reads the post at that time.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:02 AM

I answered you on the US board but you apparently don't believe me. Just because a store has a name like Piggly Wiggly, Publix, Kroger --and is located in the apparently to you backward South, I can assure you they have a lovely cheese selection, marinated pork tenderloins, in house bakeries and other amenities to which you are accustomed in the TWin Cities. They just aren't in little tiny specialty groceries. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time in a very picturesque part of the Low Country. You may even be able to buy fresh seafood off the boats--which I don't think you can in the Twin Cities. A different experience. And yes, we have a place at Litchfield and visit Charleston. The airport is on the north side of Charleston so you will have ample distance to find your food.